April 04 08 - Upgraded Forums

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Everyone. It's Tom again and I am proud to announce that we have just upgraded the BMWClubMalaysia.com forums. The new forums software includes a few new exciting features including a social networking profile (replacing the less simpler one before) that allows you to add friends, join groups and everything else including uploading images to your personal album.Here's a short list of some Improvements
  • Inline Spam Management and PreventionForum spam is an increasing problem for many forums, so we're trying to eliminate as many as we can
  • Thread TaggingA new way to facilitate searching and grouping of threads, it is now possible for users to add tags to threads they post or read.
  • Reciprocal Friendships Between UsersAs part of our new social networking system, users can now request that people on their buddy list confirm their friendship, after which time a person's list of confirmed friends will be viewable to other users.
  • Public MessagingWhile private messages between users have been in BMWClubMalaysia since forever, we now introduce the public messaging system, allowing users to communicate publicly via their profile pages.
  • User Picture GalleriesUsers can now create albums and upload pictures to their account.
  • User-Created Social GroupsTo further social cohesion between users and to encourage people to make friends, BMWClubMalaysia now includes a facility to allow users to create their own social/interest groups.
  • New Member Profile PageIn order to accomodate all the new features, the member profile page has been completely redesigned from the ground up. The new page presents information in a far cleaner and more logical manner, while dividing up information into manageable chunks using a tabbed interface. Individual profile field categories can be displayed alone in blocks in the right column, in addition to appearing by default in the 'About Me' tab.
  • Member Customization of Profile PageWhich allows users to alter fonts, colors, background and borders etc. of their profile page in order to create a more personalized look.
  • Inline Editing of Profile Field ValuesThe 'About Me' tab of each member's profile page has edit controls, allowing them to quickly change values without leaving their profile page.
  • Attachment Viewing LightboxClicking on an attached image will now open a lightbox rather than open a new window, with the image scaled to fit the browser viewport. A click on the image in the lightbox will open it in a new window as before.
Unfortunately, some features that have previously been around may have been removed due to compatibility issues but i assure you that this new upgraded system will be far more efficient that the previous.Also, the forums look has yet to be complete. Please bear with us while the forums continuously updates its looks.Forums' errors are inevitable but please make it easier on us by reporting it here.To end this, please visit profiles of your friends, or if you're new, please explore by clicking on their user name. Try mine for example.EnjoyTomBMWClubMalaysia.com Administrator.

Good stuff Tom. I hope the next upgrade will be focused on the official club main page incorporating the following crucial sections:
1) History of Club
2) Club's Mission and Vision Statement
3) Founding Members Profile
4) Past & Present Committee Profile
5) Calendar of Events
etc....

This will indicate the club's historical advancement as we progress into time...

Thanks.

Tom;310124 said:
Forums' errors are inevitable but please make it easier on us by reporting it here.

Upon posting, some users are experiencing a blank page instead of the "successful post" confirmation, and then they hit the back button and try again, resulting in double postings.

UPDATE: Haaa now i'm getting it too...

Very blue le... not very comfortable with my eyes and now got a little headache.. need some time to get use to it.. maybe old man lio..

I have problem in posting. When 1st post (Quick Reply), I get a message asking me to wait because too to close to my last posting.. I guess its a spam feature.. so I waited and post again... and I see double posting.

So the next time when I 1st post, the same message came up, then I ignore and went back to the thread.. I see my posting is already up there. If I waited as "instructed" and post again, then I'll get double posting..

wah... looking at our forum activities... I don't think we can afford to run on RC2 software... pls reconsider using latest stable version :)

On the old version, I can see alot more posts on "new posts" feature.
This new version only limit to "current newest unread posts" ??

Not sure. But I like the old kind :)
Thanks for the update.

berserkdroid;310196 said:
Upon posting, some users are experiencing a blank page instead of the "successful post" confirmation, and then they hit the back button and try again, resulting in double postings.

What I do everytime I get a blank page is click on 'Refresh' button instead of the back button. By doing this, my post won't be posted twice.

Cheers....

berserkdroid;310196 said:

hi berserkdroid

i've removed some features and increased the flood limit time for searches to lower the load. please try this. This could probably be due to dramatic increased BMWClubMalaysia.com's concurrent users since last year. We now peak at 440users(today) instead of the previous 200s.

Thanks for the contributions. i will fix the missing images. now

I got this message.. Is this normal?

This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in 5 seconds.

Tom, another two bugs:

1. The search page Captcha for users not logged in is not displaying characters. Thus search is unable to be done.

2. Images attached from photobucket are not being automatically resized, resulting in the forum table borders being pushed to the right.

And the blank page after posting bug is still there. Could you check if this is due to a corrupted template file, or an incompatible plugin with Ver3.7 RC2?

Thanks bro! :top: :)

jarance;310548 said:
I got this message.. Is this normal?

This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in 5 seconds.

Bro, check out Tom's post above, he has increased the flood limit time for searches to prevent server congestion.

turbology;310337 said:
On the old version, I can see alot more posts on "new posts" feature.
This new version only limit to "current newest unread posts" ??

Not sure. But I like the old kind :)
Thanks for the update.

seconded...

Hi Tom,

thanks for the new look..may i suggest that there should be an entry for the car model and code (eg: 325i E46) below everyones avatar so it will be easier to relate to in the discussion

regards

I guess the upgrade still needs to be finetuned. I see that some pictures don't appear in the thread list. Does anyone else face the same problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom