Angel Eyes and Parking Lights

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

valkryie

Club Guest
Guys,Just want to know if I can safely engage my parking lights after angel eyes installation. I usually use my parking lights in dimly lit areas and can leave the lights on for quite a few hours. Just want to confirm if there is any issues with the battery draining as I believe CCFL should use less power than the small halogen bulb.Thanks.

i havent try yet...so dare not to said YES or NO

regarding the power drain of CCFL

i also no veri sure

Originally posted by valkryie@May 25 2006, 11:16 PM
Guys,

Just want to know if I can safely engage my parking lights after angel eyes installation.

I usually use my parking lights in dimly lit areas and can leave the lights on for quite a few hours.

Just want to confirm if there is any issues with the battery draining as I believe CCFL should use less power than the small halogen bulb.

Thanks.
tried, mine no problemo......looks cool too, mata sepet angel eyes LOL!

The parking light bulb is rated to 5W per piece. That mean
you will consumed about 10W of power (for front and rear)
when the parking light is ON.

CCFL consumed about 25W to 30W of power for each CCFL.

This means that the power consumption is about 40W.
(CCFL and Parking Light both ON at the same time).

40W is just slightly lower than a standard 55W headlamp bulb.

It will definetely drained your battery when you have your CCFL
light ON.

That is WHY all cars automatically cut out the headlamp when the
Ignition keys is removed and you forget to OFF the headlamp.

Originally posted by jarance@May 26 2006, 01:26 PM
The parking light bulb is rated to 5W per piece. That mean
you will consumed about 10W of power (for front and rear)
when the parking light is ON.

CCFL consumed about 25W to 30W of power for each CCFL.

This means that the power consumption is about 40W.
(CCFL and Parking Light both ON at the same time).

40W is just slightly lower than a standard 55W headlamp bulb.

It will definetely drained your battery when you have your CCFL
light ON.

That is WHY all cars automatically cut out the headlamp when the
Ignition keys is removed and you forget to OFF the headlamp.
If your bulb rating is correct, then its actually 5W x 4 bulbs (left front, right front, left rear, right rear) - which comes up to 20W.

With CCFL, it means its 30W x 4 (there are 4 rings) plus 20W (from above).

Therefore total is 140W? wow......

(I have too much time here...)

untill today i dont know how to on my parking light, mine is an e36 318i, can anybody tell me? thx

3er,

The parking light only light up one side. So it is either left side or right side.
Why need to multiply by four?

So according to jarance each CCFL ring consumes 25W of power. There are 2 rings on each side plus the rear brake light.

It could be around 50W or so. This is going to be a killer. In a few hours the battery will be dead.

lildevil:

When you park your car. Switch off the engine. Pull your signal indicator stalk up to activate right parking light. Pull it down to activate the left parking light. Just like when you want to change lane. Only thing is to do this with the engine off.

Useful thing if you park in dark alleys and near corners.

Can't a custom switch be made for the angels? Rather than being hooked up to the low beam?

Originally posted by valkryie@May 26 2006, 03:41 PM
3er,

The parking light only light up one side. So it is either left side or right side.

So according to jarance each CCFL ring consumes 25W of power. There are 2 rings on each side plus the rear brake light.

It could be around 50W or so. This is going to be a killer. In a few hours the battery will be dead.

lildevil:

When you park your car. Switch off the engine. Pull your signal indicator stalk up to activate right parking light. Pull it down to activate the left parking light. Just like when you want to change lane. Only thing is to do this with the engine off.

valkryie,

Tried on my friend E36 cannot lah..how come ahh :dunno:

Dear 2.2,

Do like nikazwaa suggest. I believe you pull the stalk but it did not click and it goes back to the neutral postiion. The stalk has to stay in the up or down position. THat means when you come back later and start the engine, your signal light will start blinking immediately.

Also make sure your headlights are switched off before you pull the stalk.

Actually the custom switch seem to be a workable idea. Kinda like those printer selector data switch. Turn the lever one side to activate the angel eyes or other side to activate the halagoen bulb. Not sure how happy the OBC will be with this.

Originally posted by valkryie@May 26 2006, 03:41 PM
3er,

lildevil:

Parking light is also avail on both sides. Just leave your parking lights ON from the main switch instead of the indicator stalk. I used this as worse case screnario that you forgot and left your lights ON. (The buzzer sounds only if you have your main lights on, ignition off and door open - and even so it will default to parking/side lights).

I see. Then maybe our cars are different. Because my car will beep when I forgot to turn off any lights and open door with ignition off - side lights or main beam will give me the sound.

Plus if i remember correctly my car does not cut off main beam if i forgot hence the reminder beep.

Nik & Valkryie

Thanks for the info, Will tried on my friend E36 coz mine works.

Cheers

Originally posted by valkryie@May 26 2006, 04:36 PM
Actually the custom switch seem to be a workable idea. Kinda like those printer selector data switch. Turn the lever one side to activate the angel eyes or other side to activate the halagoen bulb. Not sure how happy the OBC will be with this.
Donno abt that cos when I installed the angels, they disconnected the halogens!

Originally posted by scin@May 26 2006, 01:23 PM
How long did you have it on for??
overnite, accidently turn on the parking lite after got home, approx 7 hrs prior to me noticing it.

Top Bottom