Alternator!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

al3dx

Club Guest
Hey there...Previously like last night, 12.00am, 11 December,Get back to the start,My car,BMW E30 320i, in the morning of the 10th was running perfectly,I was during some of my normal plans for the day list,was going from town to town and back home and go back to town.When i parked at Tanjung Aru, and had to meet some one,When i Start back my car, I actually Felt something wrong is going to happend,So, when i was driving, my meter starts to go GILA... like turbo meter,then i realize that i was loosing power,When i pull over,My car's batteries was totally dead...I had one of my Friends (Thank GOD For Them) to help me jump Start My car,So before that, a few guys were checking what's the problem with my car,like they all 1st check the batteries, and it still has some charge,Then, we slowly realize after starting the car back one,The alternator was the cause,So, I want To Ask..1. Are They Any Advice?2. Is their a way that i can get a alternator that gives out a bigger charge?3. Does anyone have a original Alternator, Still in Great Shape?PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

1. Alternator kong? replace lor. For me, if original too expensive? then get recond lor. and if recond too expensive, get from chop shop lor. Chop shop is selling E36 318i alternator at about RM125.. managed to buy one about 10 years ago.. :D

2. Yes! u can get a bigger ampere alternator. Usually bigger car will have stronger alternator, if their mounts are the same, then can use lor. Otherwise, need to modify kaki lor. Bigger ampere alternator is a drag to the engine, result in higher FC and is meant for charging bigger battery. Normal alternator is about 45A... and it goes up to 75A or 100A which is ideal for ICE kaki.

3. Not me.. :D

Yup, for astroboy advise.. The output of the alternator is already sized according to the load and battery charging capacity requirement. Even if you can installed a bigger charging capacity alternator, all you get it that the battery get charged "fully" a bit faster. That all.

change the carbon brush.. they are serviceable.. see a auto wireman (not a mechanic).

but...
i did install an alternator once...
It's a brand new one..
I replace it about 6 months ago...
It's an original alternator by the way,
plus now the alternator gives a KASAR punya sound man...

al3dx;269818 said:
but...
i did install an alternator once...
It's a brand new one..
I replace it about 6 months ago...
It's an original alternator by the way,
plus now the alternator gives a KASAR punya sound man...

If it is only 6 months old, I think you better check with the shop that change it to claim th warranty.

The bearings for the alternator should last quite long.

Thanks Guy....
You Help alot...
I'm going to send my car for Alternator service by tomorrow...
You guys really help alot..

Al3dx.... just stick to your normal alternator... the rest wont fit..

Dun try to play with electrical things to the e30.. you might blow or burn your car..
unless the mechanic is profound with the electrical system in the e30's.

try not listen to foolish ideas...

pussy;270064 said:
Al3dx.... just stick to your normal alternator... the rest wont fit..

Dun try to play with electrical things to the e30.. you might blow or burn your car..
unless the mechanic is profound with the electrical system in the e30's.

try not listen to foolish ideas...

Pussy speaks the truth. And the truth shall set ye free...

Listen to Pussy.

just change the alternator......my mechanic tells me that's the easiest way as if you open the alternator to service it....the bearing holder typically is also crumbling away.....and there's no replacement part for this APPARENTLY.

Jules;270484 said:
just change the alternator......my mechanic tells me that's the easiest way as if you open the alternator to service it....the bearing holder typically is also crumbling away.....and there's no replacement part for this APPARENTLY.

Have you actually seen it happening? I meant the bearing holder crumbling away.

The bearing hosing is usually made of Aluminium alloy and is part of the altrnator housing at both end of the alternator. It is quite robust.

jarance....i have NOT and I dun think i need too cos I had a spare around....

perhaps I am not explaining the exact part he meant but basically its not replaceable. even metal wear....esp for an oldie like mine...24 years old oredi!

anyway my mechanic.....is a trusted friend, so no reason to discount him.

Jules;270501 said:
jarance....i have NOT and I dun think i need too cos I had a spare around....

perhaps I am not explaining the exact part he meant but basically its not replaceable. even metal wear....esp for an oldie like mine...24 years old oredi!

anyway my mechanic.....is a trusted friend, so no reason to discount him.

For an 24 years old alternator, yes the aluminium casing tend to becomes brittle.

BTW, Good to have a spare around.. :rock:

Since we are talking about bigger alternator or battery, I recently checked out the E90 320i and damn! the battery is BIG/HUGE! :D

It looks big because it's thin and long, unlike the fat looking N70 size and its 90AH !!! and was told to last 4 to 5 years! Very interesting! Can anybody share more info on this?

I have not seen such odd size before in JDM.. I wonder what's the cost :worry:

So...
I should just service my alternator 1st right...
Then if that don't work just change the alternator again?
But i think i'm going for the original alternator charge...

So...
I should just service my alternator 1st right...
Then if that don't work just change the alternator again?
But i think i'm going for the original alternator charge...

Top Bottom