..alternator change DIY details..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ecc0

Associate Member
..after observing few tutorials with pictures (its done on M3, same engine as my vehicle), i have decided to do alternator change myself. Its not that im trying to save some bucks, its just good for me to learn more about vehicle i have decided to keep..after observing all pictures from DIY tutorial (thanks Leon) , it seems really, rather trivial task. However, I have some question, and DIY tutorial didnt explained it, and there is no data in user manual. Im curious about force, moment, I have to apply on to bolts, fixing alternator to engine body. It must be some allowed moment used on those bolts, in order to keep alternator fixed safely and properly. So, what is the moment and is there any special tool I need to tell me that necessary force/moment is applied on to bolts. Any help/info is appreciated.

..where in KL i can buy such tools (im looking for very good quality tools)..

beside the Torque Wrench, you need a good set of socket wrench.

Good brand like Elora and Snap-on are top of the range and have lifetime warranty.

http://www.everchamptools.com/elora.htm

I think you can get the tool from Eagle Hardware Store.

As for the torque Wrench, gut feeling and tightening is good enough. The alternator does not require critical tightening
unlike the crankshaft and cylinder head area.
(I usually hand tighten until the bolt stop moving and another quarter turn to tighten it)

If you like, I can lend you my torque wrench for a few days..

Does your engine use clutch fan or fully Electric fan. If your is using a clutch fan, you may need a special tool to remove it.

but I have seen some mechanic use a hammer and a wrench to loosen it.
pss..sst - it clockwise to loosen

btw, you can buy the special tool on ebay for the clutch fan removal.

I make one myself..

Image00001.jpg

look for Snap-On tools Ecco.

Believe they are sold at ACE hardware and the likes.

Other brands which are commonly used in aviation industry (hence meeting the top quality) are like SATA, Stahlwille or FACOM

Ecc0;792688 said:
..after observing few tutorials with pictures (its done on M3, same engine as my vehicle), i have decided to do alternator change myself. Its not that im trying to save some bucks, its just good for me to learn more about vehicle i have decided to keep..after observing all pictures from DIY tutorial (thanks Leon) , it seems really, rather trivial task. However, I have some question, and DIY tutorial didnt explained it, and there is no data in user manual. Im curious about force, moment, I have to apply on to bolts, fixing alternator to engine body. It must be some allowed moment used on those bolts, in order to keep alternator fixed safely and properly. So, what is the moment and is there any special tool I need to tell me that necessary force/moment is applied on to bolts. Any help/info is appreciated.

Np dude!

Central bolts and nuts sell some high quality torque wrenches. You can borrow mine however, just let me know! I'll get torque values for the alternator and stuff off my TIS.

Haven't got round to doing it yet, sorry for the delay!

You won't need any other special tools. I got my socket set from Knight Auto, quality seems to be pretty good with no problems so far.

Forgot to add, I don't think the fan clutch needs to be removed. Just remove the top tensioner and the belt comes loose, then one more bolt on the lower part of the alternator and you are good to go.

Top Bottom