• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ALBundy

Founding Member
High-Performance BMW ALPINA B7
n465979a.jpg
spacer.gif
BMW Alpina B7. Photo: Bruce Whitaker Click to enlarge by Mike Meredith
spacer.gif
BMW offers the ALPINA B7, a special performance version of the 7-Series tuned by Bavarian performance company, ALPINA.
spacer.gif
Click to enlarge
n465980a.jpg
BMW Alpina B7. Photo: Bruce Whitaker
spacer.gif
Click to enlarge
n465981a.jpg
BMW Alpina B7. Photo: Bruce Whitaker
spacer.gif
advertisementdap('&PG=CP49EJ&AP=1087&CATEGORY=LUXURY',180,150);
spacer.gif
Click to enlarge
n465983a.jpg
BMW Alpina B7. Photo: Bruce Whitaker http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/images/spacers/spacer.gifhttp://fp.images.autos.msn.com/images/spacers/spacer.gifClick to enlargehttp://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/News/n465984a.jpgBMW Alpina B7. Photo: Bruce Whitaker http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/images/spacers/spacer.gifThe 2007 BMW ALPINA B7 is a special high-performance 7-Series that will be offered through U.S. BMW dealers. ALPINA is a famous Bavarian tuning company that has a long history of producing performance parts as well as tuning high-performance production cars and building race cars, all for BMW. A symbol of ALPINA is the 20-spoke alloy wheels, still found today on the 2007 BMW ALPINA B7. The ALPINA B7 is only the second BMW ALPINA model officially offered in the U.S. The first was the BMW ALPINA ROADSTER V8, an ALPINA version of the BMW Z8 roadster that had a modified 4.8-liter BMW and SWITCH-TRONIC, an automatic transmission with a system of sequential manual shifting also developed by ALPINA. A total of 450 examples were sold in the U.S. in 2002 and 2003. The BMW ALPINA B7 is based on the 750i sedan and features a new type of supercharger to produce 500 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque from a 4.4-liter V8, not the 4.8-liter currently offered in the 750i. The Radial supercharger is a new development of ALPINA, offered in a passenger car for the first time along with a 6-speed automatic transmission with SWITCH-TRONIC. BMW already offers the ultra-luxury 760iL, powered by a 438-horsepower V12 engine which produces smooth, high-torque power, but ALPINA chose the supercharged V8 in pursuit of sportier, more high-performance result. Using the V8-powered and regular wheelbase platform of the 750i, the ALPINA B7 is nearly 400 pounds lighter than the 760iL, contributing to its more agile handling and quicker acceleration. According to BMW, the B7 will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in only 4.8 seconds, compared to 5.8 for the 750i and 5.4 for the 760iL. The ALPINA B7 retains the 750i Active Roll Stabilization suspension system that uses electronics and hydraulics to counter body roll in corners. ALPINA worked with BMW and tire supplier Michelin to develop firmer calibration for the springs and shocks. The B7 brakes are upgraded to the larger brakes used on the European 760i version. In spite of its serious level of performance, the body modifications of the ALPINA B7 are very subtle, a hallmark of ALPINA cars over the years. Exterior changes include a revised front bumper and front spoiler assembly, 20-spoke ALPINA wheels, high-gloss Shadowline trim on the side window frames, new rear bumper assembly, subtle rear spoiler, availability of the traditional ALPINA Blue metallic paint and ALPINA B7 badging. The 750i already offers a high level of luxury and features, and the B7 takes standard equipment up to essentially the same level as the 760iL including Comfort Access, power sunshades, active ventilation for front seats, heated rear seats, active support on driver's seat, Logic7 audio system, and Alcantara headliner. Four standard BMW colors are offered for the Nasca leather with either American Walnut or high-gloss Ash wood trim. ALPINA's Myrtle wood interior trim is included when the special ALPINA Blue exterior paint is chosen. Interior ALPINA features once again point to performance such as the instrument cluster with traditional ALPINA Blue background color and ALPINA lettering at the bottom right, red pointers with blue centers, deletion of the chrome rings around the dials, a 200-mph speedometer scale and continuous display of the current transmission gear, even when in automatic mode. The ALPINA steering wheel is both a visual and a functional performance upgrade with the ALPINA logo in the center and the rim finished in Lavalina leather with special stitching. Plus and minus symbols are stitched into the leather to indicate the location of the shift buttons for the SWITCH-TRONIC transmission when in manual mode. MSRP for the ALPINA B7 is $115,695 compared to $75,695 for the 750i and $122,095 for the 760iL.

WoW! Can't imagine how it feels to drive a large, comfy yet darn powerful car...

Btw, doesn't that BLUE just look awesome?

Good for the Yanks! But the mighty fine B5 is still off limits to them, eh ?

Silver, if my short stint in an E38 B12 6.0 a few years ago is anything to go by, I'd expect this baby to be a real cracker as well! And like what Donny said, there's just a certain degree of unmatched mystique and aura to the Alpina brand and their blue shade too! May they continue to honour that fine tradition for years to come!

Cheers,
VaN.

Van, this is the second Alpina car for official US consumption (the first being the Z8 which really was alpina tuned so...). BMW needs the B7 to battle with the Quattroporte, the MB V8 S63 and V12 S65 plus the V10 Audi S8. The 760Li just doesn't cut it, its too soft.

The US market is a little slow in getting things, they just introduced the Individual program for the E65/66 not too long ago.

I love Alpina but its tough to decide between the Maser, the B7 and the S63 when voting with your own money.

Donny,

Yeah, given the market trend in the US, the Alpina will probably never be a volume seller compared to the AMG powered Mercs and the Audi too .... but then again it's not really meant to be one! But if you throw the Maser into the equation, then it's probably a no-brainer - for me atleast! The Bella rules .... kinda makes the German players look almost ordinary with its near-perfect blend of exclusivity, heritage, looks and performance. I remember Clarkson was gushing about it quite a bit in his review sometime back.

Regards,
VaN.

Yeah I remembered that review.

The Maser should come out slightly cheaper or similarly priced to the B7. The Audi S8 is the value leader (sub 100k) and the V12 Bi-Turbo S65 is pushing $200K :eek: (The NA V8 S63 is slightly cheaper). Note how the Jaguar XJR is out of the picture.

Given that, I would be highly tempted to go with the Maser :p , reliability and resale value issues aside ... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom