Advise needed: Brake pads for E90 Performance Brakes

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mavik

Dear all, besides the usual OEM brake pads for the E9x BMW Performance Brakes (P/N: 34110444738), has anyone else tried after market brand pads?
493_0.jpg
It is sad that our part of the world do not come with the full kit (only fronts). I was looking at Hawk HPS pads which seem to be able to fit those brakes but the feedback and reviews from the web I got was that the Hawk HPS tend to suffer from brake fade. I am looking for pads which are targeted for high performance street use with some track days thrown in as well. Any recommendations? EBC Yellowstuff? Pagid?

Mavik I had hawks on my 335 2 years ago
Changed back my rears to stock becoz d screeching was too loud.
Fronts werent as loud.
Bite is better than stock pads imo as long u dont mind d squealing/screeching.
I think i paid less than 1k 4 front n rears,

- - - Updated - - -

Mavik I had hawks on my 335 2 years ago
Changed back my rears to stock becoz d screeching was too loud.
Fronts werent as loud.
Bite is better than stock pads imo as long u dont mind d squealing/screeching.
I think i paid less than 1k 4 front n rears,

Mavik;850346 said:
Dear all, besides the usual OEM brake pads for the E9x BMW Performance Brakes (P/N: 34110444738), has anyone else tried after market brand pads?
493_0.jpg

It is sad that our part of the world do not come with the full kit (only fronts). I was looking at Hawk HPS pads which seem to be able to fit those brakes but the feedback and reviews from the web I got was that the Hawk HPS tend to suffer from brake fade. I am looking for pads which are targeted for high performance street use with some track days thrown in as well.

Any recommendations? EBC Yellowstuff? Pagid?

bro...i replaced my brake pad last week...(perf brake )...
using after market brand...cost me 500++.,,the brand is ATE...have a look bro..perf is good....value for money...no squeaking sound till now...

- - - Updated - - -

Mavik;850346 said:
493_0.jpg

It is sad that our part of the world do not come with the full kit (only fronts). I was looking at Hawk HPS pads which seem to be able to fit those brakes but the feedback and reviews from the web I got was that the Hawk HPS tend to suffer from brake fade. I am looking for pads which are targeted for high performance street use with some track days thrown in as well.

Any recommendations? EBC Yellowstuff? Pagid?

bro...i replaced my brake pad last week...(perf brake )...
using after market brand...cost me 500++.,,the brand is ATE...have a look bro..perf is good....value for money...no squeaking sound till now...

RX8, thanks for the personal review! My only issue is that so many forums who used the Hawk HPS for track days said it is quite bad after a while (Subaru clubs US, Mazda clubs US, Evo Club in the UK). Still torn with those pads.

Wuk51, thanks for the recommendation, will do more research into ATE. What are the temperature tolerances for those pads? The Hawk HPS is rated at 480 degrees.

- - - Updated - - -

RX8, thanks for the personal review! My only issue is that so many forums who used the Hawk HPS for track days said it is quite bad after a while (Subaru clubs US, Mazda clubs US, Evo Club in the UK). Still torn with those pads.

Wuk51, thanks for the recommendation, will do more research into ATE. What are the temperature tolerances for those pads? The Hawk HPS is rated at 480 degrees.

Unfortunately the pad choice for the Performance Brakes are very limited. I would recommend Performance Friction Z-rated pads for dual duty but they are unavailable. I was actually planning on getting Performance Brakes and retrofitting it into my E36 but because of pad choice, I chose a different path.

It is not easy to make a pad that works well on the street and track. The characteristics required are totally different, street pads requiring good cold bite and quiet braking and track pads need to withstand high temperatures. That said the Performance Friction pads that my brother (maxxsp) and I ran on the trackday have very good cold bite but they do squeal. We are running 08 compound on the track and switching the pads out for Performance Friction Z-rated compound street pads for the street.

The only good pads that I found for the track were Pagid RS29's. But those are mainly used for the track. They are also very expensive. However they are said to be quite gentle on the rotors and wear is very good because they are endurance pads. I think the cost more or less evens out because they last much longer than other non-endurance pads.

I would recommend you to run a different pad for the street and track but it does require more work, however I think the extra effort is worth it.

The HPS may not be good enough for track use and their dual duty pad the HP Plus has some pretty loud squealing.

One other mod I would do for the track is Stainless braided brake hoses and to use a higher temp brake fluid such as Motul RBF600.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom