Advice requested : E39 528i performance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tarkustorque

Club Guest
Dear all, this is my first post here.I've owned a 528i M-sport/Dinan chipped/steptronic for 6 months now. The former owner appears to be a fuddy-duddy, the car was in mint condition. It had Inspection 2 at 64,000 miles. I got the car with 75,000 miles on it, full records.I have a curious problem nobody seems to know about : the car is sluggish in a way it makes its weight felt. All my friends here drive the V8s and nobody really has and idea on the L6s. They drive my car. They say it pulls, which it does. Redlines unfailingly when called upon. Yes. But I know the E28 520i and E34 525i I drove were peppier.WELL, I figured it hadn't been properly run-in so I tried to run it in by taking it on long trips, then exercising the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears over time using manual override.Nothing. SO, I'd Inspection 2 done at 82,000 miles.The car remained sluggish.SUDDENLY, at around 83,000 miles, the car woke up. It was responsive, raring to go, and behaved as you would expect a BMW to behave. Now, at 84,000, it's inexplicably back to what it was - tiring to drive.Any ideas?I'd be happy to answer any clarifying question.Thanks in advance!

tarkustorque;360661 said:
Dear all, this is my first post here.

I've owned a 528i M-sport/Dinan chipped/steptronic for 6 months now.

The former owner appears to be a fuddy-duddy, the car was in mint condition. It had Inspection 2 at 64,000 miles.

I got the car with 75,000 miles on it, full records.

I have a curious problem nobody seems to know about : the car is sluggish in a way it makes its weight felt.

All my friends here drive the V8s and nobody really has and idea on the L6s. They drive my car. They say it pulls, which it does. Redlines unfailingly when called upon. Yes.

But I know the E28 520i and E34 525i I drove were peppier.

WELL, I figured it hadn't been properly run-in so I tried to run it in by taking it on long trips, then exercising the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears over time using manual override.

Nothing. SO, I'd Inspection 2 done at 82,000 miles.

The car remained sluggish.

SUDDENLY, at around 83,000 miles, the car woke up. It was responsive, raring to go, and behaved as you would expect a BMW to behave.

Now, at 84,000, it's inexplicably back to what it was - tiring to drive.

Any ideas?

I'd be happy to answer any clarifying question.

Thanks in advance!

well i dont think tht e39 hava driveLogic. hehe. nway driveLogic is a func tht d DME(engine ECU) reads ur style of driving n suit it d way u push ur baby. i think it only feat on d M series only, not 4 d M sport. hmm, hav u ever bring it 2 any SC 2 rectify d prob? (rectify 1st so tht u know how much does it cost 4 u 2 revamp ur car)

frm my opinion, it could b d engine oil. mayb it is too thick or mayb sludge is holding ur baby back. try flushing ur engine once n replace ur engine oil. u might feel d diffrence then. changing d ATF also might do d trick (although it is longlife). no harm trying rite? dun forget d tyre pressure too

i drove an e39 528i b4 n i share ur opinion tht it has a prob when picking up 2 speed. alot of factors can effect this tho. but d preliminary is 2 do d above 1st. n i really3 suggest 4 u 2 bring it 2 d authorize SC, coz it will check ur ride mechanically n electrically. if im not mistaken, e39 528i is running with m52/m54 power house in d hood n usually, these engines do not have sludge. but anything can happen rite. ohh, also try 2 clean ur fuel system. after some time, d injector will get dirty. n use d bmw approved fuel additive which can clean ur combustion chamber frm dirty carbons. trust mr, it works.

if u ask me if i am at ur place, i will do d traditional way, which as u have done b4. bring it 4 long trips n "tekan kaw2" especially on safe straight road w/o speed traps n during take off. take it 2 d limits. try pushing it NEAR d redline as possible (although it is not advisible 2 drive ur car at d redline).

try these 1st. mayb it will solve ur prob. if nothing happens, i will guide u 2 d 2nd stage. gud luck n selamat hari raya. berhati2 d jln raya...

Hi, thanks for that. Appreciate it, really.

I had actually gotten hold of a 4.10 final drive ratio which I was going to replace the 3.46 with.

Then the car woke up, and the spunk it had was PLENTY GOOD.

So I'm now holding back, totally perplexed.

Outside the US, everyone rates the 528i and 530i as having the best balance. Over here, nobody I've met thinks the 2.8 is supposed to have any life - as you can imagine the American fascination with V8 engines means everyone focusses on the 540i as the one car that hints at the M5, even if its not that great when not on the straight.

I don't now if flushing fluids is the way to go right now, since Inspection 2 was just done.

I am wondering if the SC will be able to pull any fault codes. And this I somehow doubt, because there are no warning lights on the dash.

I'm a little fearful - what if it all checks out and the problems elude detection.

I'll look at the injection, the vanos, disconect the battery for adaptation resets - what else could I do?

Selamat Hari Raya, I'm a long way from home!

Top Bottom