318is G/box into 325 e36

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jsen

Club Guest
hi guys n gals, need some hints on the manual tranny.. heard it can be done.. can i have the gear ratio for them( 318is n 325i).. n wat are the unlikely probs ahead?.. any diff in performance.?.. how about the flywheel?. heard albundy mentioned tat b4.. if it were to install it into 325, is the ratio same(318is=325 or 325=318is)? went thru the info, 325i is using the S5D200/250 getrag and also the ZF 310/320Z.. which is which by the way..? so, 318is is in which category then?. im seriously confused.. thks.. n have a nice weekend..!

ALBundy said:
The iS is using S5D200.

hi al, meanig wat?.. n wat are all those... AFAIK, IS manual cant really fit into 325.. some i heard tat there will be a tremendous loss in power...

pls advise..

so, wats the final conclusion..?

actually i called stuggart and ask the guy say it will loss power ....

vincent said:
hi al, meanig wat?.. n wat are all those... AFAIK, IS manual cant really fit into 325.. some i heard tat there will be a tremendous loss in power...

pls advise..

so, wats the final conclusion..?

how can a power being loss by using that gearbox??? I oso want to know.

:D

If thats the case, tell him to sell cheap cheap lor :)

Anyway, a lot of racers prefer to use the iS gearbox since its lighter than the 310/320Z ZF gearbox. I am using it in my car, no problem whatsoever, except that I need to upgrade the clutch :)

by the way what is 325 g/box use ? So far i never go under and see it myself.

so for jsen car , a 318 IS manual gearbox can fit into his 325 .
so jsen apa tunggu lagi , go convert ...

but then again why there always people say very hard to find a manual gearbox to convert for a 325 ?

ALBundy said:
If thats the case, tell him to sell cheap cheap lor :)

Anyway, a lot of racers prefer to use the iS gearbox since its lighter than the 310/320Z ZF gearbox. I am using it in my car, no problem whatsoever, except that I need to upgrade the clutch :)

huh, arent u on a 318is supercharged monster, or u have another 325i with an iS g/box.. if iS model with its own g/box, there's shldnt be any.. albundy, were u saying too tat those racers converted a 325i using the iS g/box too.. sorry le bro, too many Qs, cox im really confused now..

and the clutch u were saying, wat type of clucht are u recommending ?
thks man,

E3six said:
most problem to come by i heard is longshalf and padal

yup, true..tats the main concern of it.... :mad:

tremendous or moderate loss in power..

yup, i heard tat too.. that stuggart mechanic said wan... maybe i'll drop him the Question to sell to me cheap since no one will be using it though..

The iS tranny will bolt on to the 325.

The difference between the iS gearbox and the 325 is the torque rating. However, the tranny is over designed and shouldnt have any problem dealing with the extra torque. My current car is pumping out more torque than a 328 :)

All e36 manual gearboxes from the 318i or 318is will fit into the 325/328 engines without any issues. The bell housing is the same. You can even use M50 clutch plates with the iS gearbox.

p/s my car still slow..not a monster yet.

ALBundy said:
The iS tranny will bolt on to the 325.

The difference between the iS gearbox and the 325 is the torque rating. However, the tranny is over designed and shouldnt have any problem dealing with the extra torque. My current car is pumping out more torque than a 328 :)

All e36 manual gearboxes from the 318i or 318is will fit into the 325/328 engines without any issues. The bell housing is the same. You can even use M50 clutch plates with the iS gearbox.

p/s my car still slow..not a monster yet.

200 hp on wheel still slow meh !!!!!!

Pro, i hate to hear another " Honey, i blew my engine, may i come home" haha..............

hahaha... not monster mer.... i got pretty good feedbacks on the monster rides...

great info.. so the bottom line is, can be done w/o any side effects, just tat need to upgrade the clutchy... any diff in ratio( sounded silly but do great if can provide me the ratio:D too)...

ALBundy said:
The gearbox will fit all the M50 engines. Since it comes with all the accessories, its a great buy...just need to check the flywheel, whether its single or twin mass. If its twin mass, then no issue at all.

wat about the flywheel u mentioned b4.. i went thru the ETK.. cannot find anything also.... another issue here..!:eek:

The iS tranny has the same ratios. Basically fifth gear ratio is 1:1

the Is tranny has better ratios, taller a bit than the 2.5l boxes..

thks guys n gals for such an information....

doenst know that all this while, they are using the same tranny, n they even shared the same gear ratios... :) only diff is the differential, clutchy, n driveshaft(iS is longer than the 325's).. if any if i missed out, pls let me know..

thks again. cheers.

is all about Gear ratio. Jsen u will get low range power but not on high. Maybe at 5 gear 3krpm u car around 100kmh instead of 110kmh or even lower. u get close ratio that give u more torque, but not on high end. i got this concept from Mitshubishi engine. Not sure if it same as BMW correct me if i m wrong.

Top Bottom