2008 E70 Sunroof Leak

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

storm7576

Club Guest
My sunroof leak. When to authorized workshop, from test carried out, they found out that the surrounding seal no longer working efficiently. To my surprise, instead of replacing the rubber seal alone, i was asked me to replace the whole sunroof which come with a RM20k price tag. Reason being is that once it's been removed and reassemble, no guarantee that it would be watertight and all screw/rivet holes will be distorted once the original screw/rivet been removed. To me it just seemed a bit far-fetched and absurd. How could BMW come out with such a cheesy design? I realized it's part of their sales pitch to gain easy access into our 'deep' pocket. Worry that they might sabotage me with their on purpose shoddy reassembly work just to prove a point (if I insist on replacing only the rubber seal), i bailed out without replacing anything. For that they charged me RM600 for 2 hours labour. To cut things short, need to know good workshop specialized on sunroof repair

let me share my experience. mine the panoramic roof of X3 jammed slighly open. So I sent to quite a reliable BMW workshop and the did quite a good job realigned and close it back water tight...cost me RM600 for whole day job. But it was a good job. Then they quoted me about 13k to replace everything. Actually just few plastic parts broken but they said have to change everything....hang on!

then I went to another BMW workshop and they quoted about 12k. also said same thing change everything. Went to a 3rd workshop, also said same thing 13k. I check BMW website, price is about rm5-6k if buy from US. Then I read in forum somebody repaired sunroof at M1 in segambut. So I went there and they said change everything for 4.5k. Viola! Ordered parts fr spore. 3 weeks lalter sent for repair. Took 3 days to do it. Had to order new control module another 1.5k. So total damage was 6k but satisfied cos still working after 7 months & at cheaper price.

So I'd say go here. unfortunately you have to change everything including seals etc.

In your case, those plastic parts may have come together with the sunroof frame or at least somehow attached to the frame. To remove those parts may have cause other problem. So a quick gateaway would be recommending the whole sunroof to be changed. In my case it's just a simple surround seal that attached to the roof opening that created the whole problem, other parts especially mechanical parts works perfectly. My question is, if to change only one part require you replace the whole sunroof, why the fish BMW sell those parts individually? I think it just a matter of diligence and skill.

just go around and ask few workshops including the one I mentioned earlier.

I would check out youtube and there are several videos about this...one of them was just a blocked passage that has prevented water from flowing out, causing a leak into the cabin. Perhaps you check this one out first?

My car now in AB Penang. They have tested the drain pipe, no blockage. They suspected the surrond seal. Happen to be an auditor from Germany were there. He run some test and recomended to replace the rubber seal with and improved version. Still waiting for the part

..i have had similar situation on my RR..offered to replace whole thing for 25K..thanks , but no..surfed forums worldwide, and learn how to do it myself..ordered rubber seal with few plastic holders, replaced in approx 2 days of my novice work/experience , and it worked like a charm...price tag ? from 25K down to 2500...go figure...all i can say, those official service centers are nothing but legalized criminals..

Ecc0;776157 said:
..i have had similar situation on my RR..offered to replace whole thing for 25K..thanks , but no..surfed forums worldwide, and learn how to do it myself..ordered rubber seal with few plastic holders, replaced in approx 2 days of my novice work/experience , and it worked like a charm...price tag ? from 25K down to 2500...go figure...all i can say, those official service centers are nothing but legalized criminals..
I couldn't agree more

Damn 1800 labour! probably could swap an engine with that labour price outside.

Top Bottom