1997 E39 - How to replace the stock audio head unit? Or fix the CD changer?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

evilnickwong

Club Guest
My dad has a 1997 E39 528i, the pre-facelift model. He has problems with the stock audio head unit:1. Cassette is stuck, doesn't work anymore2. CD changer in the boot doesn't work anymoreSo some questions:1. If he wants to fix the CD changer in the boot, where to get a replacement? He went to an audio shop, but they don't have it. Is it something that can only be purchased from BMW?2. He wants to change to a new head unit e.g. a single DIN so that he can play MP3, USB etc. But on the E39, the display unit and the buttons are shared by the sound system and also the OBC which handles things like the trip computer, fuel mileage, warnings, etc. Is it possible to change/add-on a new head unit without losing all these functions?Thanks.

evilnickwong;652221 said:
My dad has a 1997 E39 528i, the pre-facelift model. He has problems with the stock audio head unit:

1. Cassette is stuck, doesn't work anymore
2. CD changer in the boot doesn't work anymore

So some questions:
1. If he wants to fix the CD changer in the boot, where to get a replacement? He went to an audio shop, but they don't have it. Is it something that can only be purchased from BMW?
2. He wants to change to a new head unit e.g. a single DIN so that he can play MP3, USB etc. But on the E39, the display unit and the buttons are shared by the sound system and also the OBC which handles things like the trip computer, fuel mileage, warnings, etc. Is it possible to change/add-on a new head unit without losing all these functions?

Thanks.

Why not ask your dad to buy the BMW or DICE iPod integration kit and install that instead?

Are you interested on this player?

1-6.jpg

Visit bimmermav.com
I brought my radio module/amplifier from them.

bmw7833;652351 said:
Are you interested on this player?

1-6.jpg

Is this the same thing as in the bimmernav.com that ay39 mentioned? If so, does this still support the OBC functions and is it an original or aftermarket BMW item?

Not the same thing. ay39 is using the original one, what i show u is the aftermarket player. U will lost the OBC function. U can opt to move the MID to glovebox if u want to maintain the OBC function.

Ah I see. When you say MID, you're referring to the Multi-Information Display that is currently used for both OBC and radio functions right?

OK some questions now: :)
1) How much does your aftermarket player cost, all in (unit+installation+etc)?
2) If my dad prefers to keep the dash looking standard and the OBC unit in the stock position, is it possible to install a standard single-DIN head unit somewhere else like in the glovebox?
3) Would still like to know if it's possible to get a replacement CD changer for the stock system.

Yes, it is doable to install the single DIN player in the glovebox. U can get the used CDC in chop shop or ebay, why not?

evilnickwong;652247 said:
Are you referring to this:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/p...hone--Sirius-Satellite-Radio-Integration-Kit/

He doesn't use an iPod. Just plain old CDs and maybe USB too. How much does the above cost anyway?

A cheaper solution would be one of those FM modulators with a USB port you can get at any IT shop for RM25 ;)

I got an original BMW iPod integration kit on my E39. RM1200 plus installation. Best upgrade I ever did to my E39. I have 2,500 songs at my beck & call whenever I drive :D

rpmnut;652541 said:
A cheaper solution would be one of those FM modulators with a USB port you can get at any IT shop for RM25 ;)

I got an original BMW iPod integration kit on my E39. RM1200 plus installation. Best upgrade I ever did to my E39. I have 2,500 songs at my beck & call whenever I drive :D

How is the original BMW ipod integration kit? I have read about it in the past but most people say its a slow system, but never seen one for myself. Perhaps need to see your car then, been a while working here and never met you yet!

haywire;652545 said:
How is the original BMW ipod integration kit? I have read about it in the past but most people say its a slow system, but never seen one for myself. Perhaps need to see your car then, been a while working here and never met you yet!

The integration kit for the E39 is not bad. It's a basic system (won't display track names etc) but unlike some aftermarket systems, it retains full use of the steering wheel controls, which I think is crucial.

The only thing is that you have to arrange your songs on the iPod into playlists. The head unit reads the iPod like a CD changer, with each playlist being treated as if it's one CD. But I guess that's the best they can do for the E39's audio system lah ;)

I see your car every day when I drive to work! LOL. Still looking damn good, WUN 530! :D

aidilj;652554 said:
hey rpmnut, I thought you are using DICE..?

Nope. I'm using the original BMW iPod integration kit.
DICE was an option when I was contemplating putting in an iPod, but I eventually decided to keep everything original and got the BMW kit instead.

rpmnut: Do you have a photo of what the original BMW iPod integration kit looks like? I assume it still retains the MID and thus, the OBC functions.

Hmm... in that case the Intravee system is far superior system and still looks OEM, only thing is you lose the CD changer function (can change to Alpine CD changer but I dont see the point while using an iPod). The Intravee shows the song name, and you dont need to rearrange the ipod for it.

So my preferred option is still an Intravee + Alpine KCA-420i + Lumidock.

evilnickwong;652573 said:
rpmnut: Do you have a photo of what the original BMW iPod integration kit looks like? I assume it still retains the MID and thus, the OBC functions.

View attachment 19645

BMW's iPod kit as installed in my E39.
The only visible bit is the cable which is mounted in the glovebox. The rest of the system sits behind the dash - it's a small control box about the size of a cassette case.

haywire;652574 said:
Hmm... in that case the Intravee system is far superior system and still looks OEM, only thing is you lose the CD changer function (can change to Alpine CD changer but I dont see the point while using an iPod). The Intravee shows the song name, and you dont need to rearrange the ipod for it.

So my preferred option is still an Intravee + Alpine KCA-420i + Lumidock.

Seen the Lumidock. Nice iPod mount!
But I lose a place to put my coins! LOL :D

Ooh like that. That seems simple enough since it keeps the dash looking stock.

haywire: Intravee is another system? didn't know there are so many different options available haha.

I guess I'll see whether my dad wants to spend 1-2k for a modern integrated system or not. He'll have to factor in cost of a new iPod too haha. But I'm guessing he's more likely to opt for just replacing the broken CD changer.

haywire, get intravee and lose the CD changer to evilnick to cover the cost..

Top Bottom