Windscreen Replacement

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kllau

Club Guest
This morning I noticed there was a crack line on my car windscreen, about 10 inches long. Any good workshop around Subang/Puchong/Shah Alam/Sunway area that I can go to that can give good workmanship. And roughly how much will it cost me (material + labour)? Advices is very much apprecaited.

kllau,

Welcome to the BMW Club Malaysia's Forum. This is your first post. Thank you for your registration. Sorry to hear about your cermin. I believe you may not be aware that you are required to introduce yourself in the "newbies" section if you wish to continue using this forum.

The link :
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

This ensures that you are introduced to all the other users . Failing so, you may find limited responses to your postings.

Hope you will suft around this site, interact and looking forward to more of your postings in the future.

hi wc9922. u are right. i m totally new here and am not sure of the procedures. thanks for your advcies.

I did mine at MechanixWindshield Repair at Section 17, PJ. For 10" should cost maybe around RM200 I guess. They charge by the inch. Quite a nice chap.

yes i did mine too at mechanix, the same place alxy went...i think the boss name is danny... just enjoy the banana leaf rice while waiting, the job can be quite fast...

Thanks Alxy & Peter. I believe I know the place. Will check it out this weekend.

kllau, if you can do it fast better, dun wait too long coq the longer you wait dirt will seep into the crack. if dirt is in even after repair chances are u will see a visible line. if u repair quickly, the line may not be that visible...

thanks a lot peter, for your advice. as what qd250 said, it is only a 10" crack. honestly, i did not know that the crack is repairable. since it is repairable and will not cost me much $$$, i will try this method first. otherwise, will have to look for a good workshop to replace the whole piece. but will it affect the v-kool tinting film? do i need to remove it and replace with a new tiniting?

kllau, if your windscreen is insured, then you may want to check on how much you can claim to replace it...

if it can be repaired and u choose to repair it, u also can claim insurance if it is insured but pls make sure take a pic before and after repair (with camera with date on it)...

mine was a small chip so i repaired it.

changing windscreen may not be that good if the crack is small as changing windscreen may come with water seepage problem later on if the job is not done correctly...

hard to say la bro...i replaced windscreen on another car but have to send the car in a few more times after that coq still got water seepage la........

If you wait too long, crack may get larger. My crack was around 6" or so when I got it (on North-South highway, stone fell from lorry while I was overtaking). Waited until the next morning, had already grown 1"!

guys, at last i got it repaired. total 12" crack. the repair was ok but as i did it many days after it happened, some dirt has got in. the clear crack sign has almost disappeared but a line is still visible. dirt could be seen in some parts along the crack line. nevertheless i have no complain as it is not blocking my view. cost me much less as compared to replacing a new one. happily paid for it as currently it is not insured. will insured it next time around and get it repaced in several months' time.

thanks to all for the advices given. really appreciated them. cheers.

kilau:
heard they couldn't fix the crack if it runs from any of the edges of the windscreen? do u know if this is true? was your crack runs to the edges already?
if u dun mind, may i know how much they charge per inch of crack? mine just got cracked this morning thanx to some stones on the fed hiway :(

thanx in advance.

hi wolverine95, sorry for the late reply. just got home from abroad. mine cracked from the edge. not visible but the workshop guy told me it was due to very small grain of sand hitting it at high speed. i only noticed the crack the next morning after a drive home from kuantan.

the cost of my repair was RM200. waited for almost 2 hours to get it done as the workshop used uv light to cure the chemical.

Just to share with you guys.There is a V shape crack about 6" on both sides at the centre of my E60 near where the rain sensor is. Another small island crack appear in the middle of the V. Brought my car to Danny of Mechanix Windscreen at Section 17, PJ. Danny was of the opinion that it would be better to replace the windscreen rather than repairing it in view of the extensive crack. Even if it can be repaired, the strength of the windscreen would be compromised. So agree with his expert opinion and replace with an original BMW windscreen. Costs me RM3,700.00 including rubber and labour. Good workmanship. However have not driven in heavy rain yet to test whether got leaking or not (touch wood). Warranty one year.

Grand:
U mite wanna take a hard spin on the hiway and check for any excessive "air hissing" sound... usually if the windscreen is not perfectly assembled, it wouldn't seal-off completely... (just a thot..)
Did u claim your insurance for it? How much did u insure yours for? How much would they reimburse you? 100%?

bros,

i think the reimbursement amount is dependant on the insured amount and the current market price of the windscreen...whichever is the lower...

Already done the cruising in highway and thru heavy rain. So far so good. Anyway, Mechanix gave me 1 year warranty. Alas, I only insured it for RM2K. From my initial inquiry with Insurer, can claim the full insured sum. Processing time about 1 month.

Top Bottom