why lsd?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fadhil318

Club Guest
asking the sifus here a silly question. What difference should i expect when putting a lsd on my 318 e30. do you really notice the difference?

if u don't drive the car hard enuf especially at the corners, then u won't feel the difference, sell it to me.. :)

Ever had the sensation when u take a sharp corner and you can feel the inner rear wheel spinning but the car is not going forward??? that's becos in a conventional open diff, the torque would go to the wheel with the least resistance. So in the sceario above, the inner wheel is lifting up (descreased traction = less resistance) at the sharp corner and most of the drive goes to this wheel and no drive going to the outer wheel which is planted on the tarmac.

With LSD, the lifting inner wheel would not be getting all the drive as the LSD clutches mechanism provided slipping resistance so u still get drive to the outer wheel when u take a sharp corner fast.

If u still don't get the picture with the above scenario, then you won't appreciate what a LSD would do, so you won't need it...

BTW, if you like drifting or donuts, you can only execute these moves smoothly with an LSD, else you'll just be burning rubbers unnecessarily.

I use the lsd to do tight U-turns in carparks.......no need 3 point turn! just gun it and correct the fish tail out later....he he he

Jules said:
I use the lsd to do tight U-turns in carparks.......no need 3 point turn! just gun it and correct the fish tail out later....he he he

That explains dented cars in car parks.

nikazwaa said:
IF you can find one, it can range from RM600-RM1,500.

corrections..if you can find one 'hard' enough..price is not the issue...

anybody want to let go?:)

by the way, there are a few model i heard. different ratio is it? what difference does it make?

a friend of mine want to sell his lsd but dunno what the correct ratio and what to look for sign of wear in the unit. If the sifus could enlighten me?

Top Bottom