Whirring Noise from E39 Engine (with aircond switched off)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dzeisen

Club Guest
Hi forumers,I am experiencing a very loud and annoying whirring noise from the engine. I have sent it to 3 mechanics (MSpeed, Optimum and BMWorks) but none seemed to be able to pin point the sound. I believe I can rule out aircond although it seemed like it in the first place as I have switched off the aircond when I recorded the sound. When I step on the pedal, the sound muffles for a short while and comes back again.What do you think the sound could be?I apologize as my account doesn't permit me to upload files larger than 100kb.I have therefore uploaded the iPhone recorded sound on to yousendithttp://www.yousendit.com/download/bFFNTkZ0RkVtUUZjR0E9PQThank you all!

i had this problem long time ago ..which the noise came from the water pump ...better get it checked soon as i see that your 3 listed mechanics are pro in bmw ...how come they can;t detect it .....

Jerman;512340 said:
Have you checked the fan clutch?

I have just changed Fan Clutch to Sachs last Saturday and today, I've changed it to Behr. Same results. The whirring sound is still there.

ICEMAN 13;512342 said:
i had this problem long time ago ..which the noise came from the water pump ...better get it checked soon as i see that your 3 listed mechanics are pro in bmw ...how come they can;t detect it .....

I have sent it to Optimum earlier to check. The mechanic confirmed that it is not the water pump as the sound will be very loud when the hood is opened up.

MSpeed told me they suspect is the aircond compressor. However, I have already turned off the aircond and therefore, that shouldn't be the case already.

BMWorks told me it's the Power Steering that causes the noise.

So I'm really not sure what it is now but it sure is very annoying.

even if you switch off the aircond, the compressor might still be engaged... did you chck that?
the wayne pump of the steering rack could also be an issue.

Is it confirmed coming from the engine bay and not from the dash?

you don't happen to have a twin screw bolted in did you? :D

affan66;512410 said:
even if you switch off the aircond, the compressor might still be engaged... did you chck that?
the wayne pump of the steering rack could also be an issue.

Is it confirmed coming from the engine bay and not from the dash?

you don't happen to have a twin screw bolted in did you? :D

How to check if the compressor is not engaged? I totally switch off the entire aircond by turning off the blower until the light on the aircond display goes off.

I can't confirm that it is from the engine or from the dash although my ears seemed to pick up as if it's coming from the engine. Probable reason is when I slowly press the pedal, the sound becomes wooooo, wooooo, wooooo.... It somehow is in sync with me pressing the pedal. If I let go the pedal, the sound also wooooo, woooo, woooo... Aih... =(

heard abt this some time ago, if i still remember correctly, sound is from the alternator

if the mechanic stand in front of the engine oso can't tell u where the sound come from, how are we, sitting behind the keyboard, solve the problem for you?? At least come to TT and for us to listen before we can comment... When it's mechanical sound, it can be anything that moves..

macgy;512418 said:
heard abt this some time ago, if i still remember correctly, sound is from the alternator

You mean you heard this particular sound or issue before? Wah... if anyone can help me pin point, I'd be so so so happy... This issue has been nagging me since day 1...

fabianyee;512419 said:
if the mechanic stand in front of the engine oso can't tell u where the sound come from, how are we, sitting behind the keyboard, solve the problem for you?? At least come to TT and for us to listen before we can comment... When it's mechanical sound, it can be anything that moves..

Hahaha... so true! I thought I put it out here so that perhaps someone who has encountered it may provide some ideas. I will join you guys for the TT... when ar & where?

Sounds like one of your tensioner bearings....either the alternator bearing, belt tensioner...

I think i had such similar sound when if i do a real spirited drive the night before and if i pop the hood the next morning, i'll hear the whinning noise...but it goes away after awhile of drive.

Another solution is to take a long solid metal rod (not hollow) and place one end near the alternator bearing or at the power steering pump and place your ear at the other end. It amplifies the noise and you can thus pin point the location of the whine.

bimmerholic;512512 said:
Another solution is to take a long solid metal rod (not hollow) and place one end near the alternator bearing or at the power steering pump and place your ear at the other end. It amplifies the noise and you can thus pin point the location of the whine.

Another tool is the long screwdriver..

Another way is the spray lubricants like WD40 or even water... if u hit the 'jackpot', the whining sound will disappear for a while until the lube or water dried...

Then again, we still not standing in front of your engine bay to listen to it....

I think you should pay Albert Fang (012-2107792) WP Auto a visit. He is a very patient mechanic and will trace the problem by elimination process. It may be time consuming though.

bmw7833;512493 said:
There will no any sound if you switch off the engine?
No sound at all. In fact, the sound doesn't appear if I'm on Neutral or even on Drive at standstill.

bimmerholic;512510 said:
Sounds like one of your tensioner bearings....either the alternator bearing, belt tensioner...

I think i had such similar sound when if i do a real spirited drive the night before and if i pop the hood the next morning, i'll hear the whinning noise...but it goes away after awhile of drive.
Mine happens all the time but loudest in the morning/night as morning/night is the quietest. Apart from the annoyance, I'm just afraid that the sound is a sign of something that is about to break down. I need to identify it fast before it causes major damages (if any)

bimmerholic;512512 said:
It's hard to do this as the sound only appears when the car is in motion or I believe when the engine is doing something. It's like WOOOooooo, WOOOoooo (up and down rhythm).

fabianyee;512520 said:
Another tool is the long screwdriver..

Another way is the spray lubricants like WD40 or even water... if u hit the 'jackpot', the whining sound will disappear for a while until the lube or water dried...

Then again, we still not standing in front of your engine bay to listen to it....
Spray where ar? I'm afraid to spray anything in the engine area =)

Vincent Hor;512523 said:
I think you should pay Albert Fang (012-2107792) WP Auto a visit. He is a very patient mechanic and will trace the problem by elimination process. It may be time consuming though.

Thanks for the heads up. Where is he based at?

actually, any mechanic can solve your problem, as unker Vincent says, Albert will have to diagnose it the whole day.

but as i said, any mechanic can do it, only time and patience..but they wont do it, cos time factor.. maybe one bearing for a mechanic on it a whole day..

what i can help you is unless you are a diy person,
1. remove your clutch fan, the sound will be clearer where to pin point
2. remove your small belt where the ac is, let the big belt run; se still got sound
3. with the clutch fan removed, pour some water on the bearing tensioner pully, if sound goes away, bingo !!

if still got sound, then it's the engine problem ? water pump bearing ?

usually it's the alternator bearing that gives that sound, with high engine loads.. ask our past president.. he had the best experince..

Top Bottom