Which Lubricant/Engine Oil to use?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

neohkw

Club Guest
Hi there,I would like to know what engine oil fellow E39-ers are using as well as their pricing? Can someone also shed light on whether this particular branded engine oil is suitable for E39? I am listing 3 different oil produced by Motul.1.SPECIFICATIONS Product 8100 X-CESS Feature 100% synthetic. SAE/DOT Standard 5W-40 Specification API SL/CF & ACEA A3/B3/B4 Maker's Approval VW 502.00/505.00, BMW Long Life-98, OPEL/GM Diesel LL B-025, Porsche & MB 229.3 Compatibility Suitable for all types of gasoline or dieselcar engines powered with turbo diesel or gasoline injection engines and catalytic converters. 2.SPECIFICATIONS Product 8100 X-MAX Feature 100% synthetic. Ester based. SAE/DOT Standard 5W30 Specification API: SL/CF ACEA: A3/B4 Maker's Approval BMW LL-01, MB 229.3, 229.5, VW 502.00-505.00 Compatibility High power Gasoline and Diesel engines 3.SPECIFICATIONS Product 300V POWER Feature 100% Synthetic, Double Ester Technology, 0% Shear loss, can mix, for cars only. SAE/DOT Standard 5W-40 Specification Exceeds all existing standards. Maker's Approval — Compatibility For engines that run circuit and street races Thanks and cheers!Neoh

Whilst you guys are at it,I would also like to know what is the best engine oil I could use in my e60 530.Thanks

This engine oil issue is a matter of personal preference.

Different people choose different engine oil brands.

Of coz they need to meet the standards set for e39.

I personally use Castrol as they have been a long time partner with BMW.

Your owner's manual has a section on Engine Oil.

Here is an excerpt.

Viscosity ratings
Viscosity is the oil flow rating as established in SAE classes.
The selection of the correct SAE class depends on the climatic conditions in the area where you typically drive your BMW.
Approved oils are in SAE classes 5W-30 and SAE 5W-40.

These oils may be used for driving in all ambient temperatures.

Some mechanics said, don’t use fully synthetic oil if your car mileage >100k KM, it might cause oil slip due to the oil thinness. They recommend semi-synthetic oil better.

BMW2007;439650 said:
Some mechanics said, don’t use fully synthetic oil if your car mileage >100k KM, it might cause oil slip due to the oil thinness. They recommend semi-synthetic oil better.

Any article about this statement?

not much of info, just a chat with mechanics. Try to read Dr. Paul’s blog (Degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of Alabama in Huntsvilleille)

http://jpautoworkshop.blogspot.com/2009/03/playboys-ride-bmw-325i-e46-one-of-most.html

"My take on this minor seepage was that, the previous owner has been using synthetic engine oil on a 130,000km car, which may be the root cause. Synthetics are excellent penetrants, especially when the temperature is raised up. I replace the oil with 50% Fuchs CEF (Molybdenum) and 50% Fuchs Racing to soothe the intensity of the CEF's solid lubricant additives. The underside of the engine is then flushed clean, and subsequent test drives reveal no leaks."

neohkw;439452 said:
1.Product 8100 X-CESS
Feature 100% synthetic.
Specification ACEA A3/B3/B4, VW505.00, BMW Long Life-98, MB 229.3

2. Product 8100 X-MAX
API: SL/CF ACEA: A3/B4 Approval BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 505.00

1 and 2 are good product, with 2 being more "far superior" because it meet the MB229.5 & LL-01 requirement.
I will pick product #1 because is a 5W-40 oil.
Product 2 is a little "weird" because I rarely see a 5W-30 oil that pass MB229.5 requirement. You need to double sure before using. If is true, is no doubt a rare find. But in same case, it should meet a ACEA A5 requirement too since is weight 30.... hmm... and why #2 only a SL oil instead of SM oil ?

bmw7833;439769 said:
Any article about this statement?

Full synthetic oil usually has higher content of cleaning agent. For older engine, a sudden change from regular dino oil to full synthetic might clean away some sludge/dirt that help to seal your engine component and/or weaken the rubber seal and cause it to have oil leak.
If a car is well maintained, you shouldn't worry about it.

Motul is the father of semi-synthetic, first in the world, started back in 1966.. :D

What about the 300V fully ester Group V oil.. :eek: Non-PAO synthetics.. :D Damn pricey! :(

Some negative facts found on Wikipedia about fully synthetic lubricant:
* The lower friction may make them unsuitable for break-in.
* Potential decomposition problems in certain chemical environments (industrial use dominantly)
* Potential stress cracking of plastic components like POM (polyoxymethylene) in the presence of PAOs (polyalphaolefins).
* Potential on some older pushrod race engines with roller lifters for the roller itself not to spin with camshaft movement, but rather slide while the roller itself remains either stationary or at a lower circumferential speed than that of the camshaft lobe.
* Synthetics do not hold lead in suspension as well as mineral oil, thus caution is advised when the engine is run on leaded fuel.
* In July 1996, Consumer Reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular oil.
* Synthetic oils are not recommended in automotive rotary engines.

See! There no best of both world.. :D :D :D

Top Bottom