which e34 is better buy ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bryantg

Club Guest
hi all sifu.i have been looking to geta e34 have this 2 in mind so far.year 95 m50b25 single vanos,ckd unit with 4 speed auto. rm29koryear 91 m50b25 non-vanosuk spec ap holder, 5 speed autowith sunroof. rm21kin terms of power n gas millagewhich one is better ?how about maintenance for both engine?is it true that material of the cbu unit are easier to break due to theweather here?thankz alot.

Paging for the E34 gurus to help...

Anyways, if you want to save fuel but lack power, most would've already opted for the 520i.

Are both E34s you mentioned the 24v model?

Seems like the older [91 model] has the better gear ratio [5spd vs 4spd], thus giving better mileage return from the 4spd, but the thing is, the 4spd model you mentioned is newer.

Much depends on how the previous owners have maintained and serviced the car regularly.

Many E34s are still running around today, which is testament to their build quality and robustness.

Sorry I can't help much on the vanos issue as mine is the E32 730i M30 engine without the vanos.

All the best with your car hunt bro. :top:

The M50TUB25 in the '95 car has 20 bhp more than the M50B25 in the '91 car. That assumes both engines have been maintained equally well. 20 bhp might not seem like a lot, but if you try driving a '95 520 (~150 bhp) and a '95 525 (~190 bhp), the difference in terms of pick-up is like night and day. So if 40 bhp makes a world of difference, then maybe 20 bhp is significant in terms of power. Up to you and your driving style though.

My '96 525 4-speed auto drinks. Lots. And I try to drive as smoothly as possible with a light right foot. If you do high-mileage, and fuel economy is more important than power, then the 5-speed is the way to go.

Assuming all the other important stuff like maintainance, mileage, etc, are equal, personally, I'd go for the newer car since it doesn't have a sun-roof (pretty much useless in Malaysia, and is going to be a source of leaks and mechanical trouble), and more importantly, it's not a UK car (which chances are will have or be more prone to rust due to all the salt sprayed in the roads during winter over there).

:top:Well said sen5.....tepuk dada, ask your appetite lah...

SEN5241;631646 said:
The M50TUB25 in the '95 car has 20 bhp more than the M50B25 in the '91 car. That assumes both engines have been maintained equally well. 20 bhp might not seem like a lot, but if you try driving a '95 520 (~150 bhp) and a '95 525 (~190 bhp), the difference in terms of pick-up is like night and day. So if 40 bhp makes a world of difference, then maybe 20 bhp is significant in terms of power. Up to you and your driving style though.

My '96 525 4-speed auto drinks. Lots. And I try to drive as smoothly as possible with a light right foot. If you do high-mileage, and fuel economy is more important than power, then the 5-speed is the way to go.

Assuming all the other important stuff like maintainance, mileage, etc, are equal, personally, I'd go for the newer car since it doesn't have a sun-roof (pretty much useless in Malaysia, and is going to be a source of leaks and mechanical trouble), and more importantly, it's not a UK car (which chances are will have or be more prone to rust due to all the salt sprayed in the roads during winter over there).

Both of the car he mentioned is M50B25, horsepower is the same (189hp). Maximum torque also nearly same (245~250Nm). Just that the torque delivery different. More torque comes in earlier in VANOS engine compare to non-VANOS (compare with same M50 24V engines).

There is only difference in horse power when you compare between M20B25 (12V) and M50B25 (24V), 168hp vs 189hp.

The acceleration between the M50B25 and M50B20 is affected mostly by the torque difference, 194Nm vs 245Nm (nearly 50Nm difference).

If you compared with M20B25 (168hp, 222Nm, 12V) and M50B20 (150hp, 194Nm, 24V), you will still feel M20B25 much powerful. The difference is because the ~30Nm torque, plus M20 engine is SOHC, the torque delivery comes earlier.

As for the thread starter question, if I were you I would buy based on the car condition.

thanks to all sifu..

yes both of them are 24v...
the 91 m50b25 model has nose
but i think e34 model after 95 only have have big nose right?
the owner claim that its original coz its a cbu from uk

the interior of the 95 model is superb...
exterior normal wear n tear plus bumper got a big hole.

i notice some model the car battery is beside the engine
some model the battery is at the booth like e36
whatz the difference ah?

many thankz.

if their prices were closer, i'd suggest going with the 95 vanos car. but since there's 8k difference, depends on condition and other aspects and how adventurous you are... ignoring the non-vanos engine, lets say the 91, somehow, has nicer interior (leather perhaps), your preferred colour (interior and paint), quality rims, etc... you could probably get a vanos engine transplant done with 8k. that said, assuming the 95 car has everything you like, the 4-speed auto can later be replaced with a 5-speed jatco.

bro erica..

u got a point there...
izzit plug n play if in future i
replaced it with a 5 speed?
do i need to change the long shaft
rear differential and the ecu ?
im not a technical person.

thankz

Agree with bro Ken..nice and in original condition..just needs a set of e60 m5 18' rims..and a set of eibach oso...haha..racunnn

Top Bottom