What does this warning light indicate??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

godflesh

Club Guest
Could anyone out there explain what this light indicates?? UDM is a 99 E36. I guess it's the barke pad wear?? Or could it be brake fluid level or blown fuse???

if for e46 i think it is the brake sensor...i think it is time for u to change ur brake pad or have a check at ur brakes.

You may be very right. Car was picked up last week from dealer. Have been hearing high pitched sounds from right rear under braking. Was planning to take the car for full check - now this appeared this morning. Would it mean that the pads need to be replaced? or could it be something worse (changing sensor?? wonder what that would cost??)

You are right...That's the sign for brake-pad wearing out. Time to change those pads of yours

Originally posted by c-square@Mar 15 2006, 10:16 AM
You are right...That's the sign for brake-pad wearing out. Time to change those pads of yours
Man!

Sure is damn fast in getting responses here. Probably even faster that plugging in that diagnostic port!! Thanks guys! Long live the club!

you will need to change the sensor when you change the pads

front sensor is on the RHS, rear sensor is on the LHS

depending on your driving style, front pads change is about 3 times to the rear, but it could be 2 times front to 1 time rear ,if the car is auto......

Not gonna cost alot. Pads (jurid) should set you around RM120 and the sensor is less than RM30, plus labor RM30.

But since you just got the car from the dealer, why not ask the dealer to change the pads under "warranty"?

Normally, you don't have to change the brake pad and sensor if you do it within one week after the light come on.

You can still drive your car without any loss of braking power. However, you will
most probably have to replace the brake sensor if it get damage when it rub and touch the brake disc.

Originally posted by flash@Mar 15 2006, 11:20 AM
But since you just got the car from the dealer, why not ask the dealer to change the pads under "warranty"?
Flash,

That was a good idea. I called them up this morning and told them I'll be coming back with the car. No fuss, they say, just have to make sure they put in proper stuff. I thought the warranty does not cover wear and tear parts (if such a term has meaning)

crymson,

Whats jurid?? A brand name??

BMW and Mercedes use the same OEM brand but the Merc ones are specc-ed to be thicker and more long-lasting which I find quite annoying BMW can't do the same thing.

Hmm...my E46 325i has an orange warning light when the brake pads are worn, not red or blue as in the case under discussion here.

Guys, you are all mistaken.

That light is the distress signal from your wallet indicating that it's in danger...

Hi si-fus

E46 318i CKD 2001 - I am hearing slight screechy sounds from the brakes when-ever I drive in car-parks when it is quiet / when I brake ... BUT no sensor lights popping up ... Any ideas?

Thanks!
M2

most probable you have a build-up of brake dust in your calipers. get them cleaned out and while your pads are out, get ya mech to smear a thin coat of high temp copper grease on the backing plates.

good luck

Top Bottom