wet carpet/floor board

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Dayalan

Club Guest
hi sifu's .... i juz got e46 2.0 2003 auto bavaria. last night i noticed that the floorboard/ carpet on the front passenger side was extremely wet and floorboard/ carpet at the back right behind driver slightly damp. The car was parked under heavy rain earlier in the evening or could be related to an aircond leak. need to sort this out as the used car dealer has agreed to pay for repair if needed . i'm trying to diagnose the actual problem and rule out possibilities as i have to leave my car with him to be repaired, and by knowing the problem will save me and him lotsa time.Thanks in advance guys

bmw7833;490922 said:
Check the door seal.

Sorry bro tumpang your thread. Bro bmw7833,how come check the door seal if the wet carpet is in the middle at the front passenger side. Could it be that water come from underneath?It happened to my E46 too.Thanx and cheers

Wait for a dry day...and spray the car with water. You'll see damp marks on the 'entry-points' of the leak. It's quite obvious as the felt gets very dark. Hopefully it's just one door. I am bringing my own car into AB to change the door seal on my front passenger door. Everytime it rains heavily enough or after a washing, the carpets are wet...and can be traced up to the door seals.

Thanks for the link.. in fact, the e60 and e39 models are like this also..
My fren's e39 even worse, the rear carpet floor was soaked and wet, even short-cuiruited the wiring (becuase there are a few sensors and ecus under the front driver seat.).
The water leaked from the rear door..

A wet carpet vacuum can do the trick if the water has not seeped through into the carpet but if it is fully soaked in water there is no other household hint or trick that can help, except replacing the entire carpet. If damaged carpets are not taken out in good time then one will suffer the infestation of mold and mildew which are a great health problem especially if you have children.

Dayalan;490886 said:
hi sifu's .... i juz got e46 2.0 2003 auto bavaria. last night i noticed that the floorboard/ carpet on the front passenger side was extremely wet and floorboard/ carpet at the back right behind driver slightly damp. The car was parked under heavy rain earlier in the evening or could be related to an aircond leak. need to sort this out as the used car dealer has agreed to pay for repair if needed . i'm trying to diagnose the actual problem and rule out possibilities as i have to leave my car with him to be repaired, and by knowing the problem will save me and him lotsa time.

Thanks in advance guys

let me guess! do you park the car with the left side higher than the right? ie slope on one end.
i had this problem on mine. can be resolve quite simply if you are DIY type.

tropos_net;544926 said:
let me guess! do you park the car with the left side higher than the right? ie slope on one end.
i had this problem on mine. can be resolve quite simply if you are DIY type.

mine terbalik actually it happens wen passenger side lower than drivers and also wen nose lower than back...

it there seems to leak on both sides then. anyway check
1- the drain slot located inside the fenders just in front of the bonnet dampers. if they are stuck with leaves, twigs etc, it will over flow into cabin.
2 - the drain holes right under the doors must be clear to drain excess water.

these holes can be cleaned by using a ruler or a thin screw driver. then comes the more seriuos stuff...remove door panel !!

Got this same problem with my E46 2002 at front passenger's door , finally opened the door panel and resealed the internal door card with liquid sealant and then replaced the weather strip. Either one of these actually stopped the leak. (weather strip cost RM230 w/o labour)

Top Bottom