[Weight Reduction] Lightweight battery (Voltphreaks VPH900) review

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

PiSCaRGoT

Club Guest
Hi all,Not sure where to post this, this is probably the closest match as it has something to do with weight reduction (thus a bit related to chassis hehe).Anyway, thought I would write up a review as some of you might have considered a lightweight battery before as a performance/handling mod.I researched for a long time, and in the end decided on a Voltphreaks VPH900.Its basically a Lithium battery (similar like those used in your phones), so that is how it can achieve super light weight but with no loss in battery capacity.The only downside is its expensive (its about $1k USD depending on which model you buy), but I'll touch a bit on it in a while.For those who are interested to learn more about the battery technology, or would want to buy one, go to http://www.voltphreaks.com1. Buying experience - TOP NOTCHRather painless, I basically emailed them directly and the boss Tony Hwang replied.Tony was nice enough to advice on which battery would suit my car better, as there are a variety of batteries including a recently launched cheaper, lighter range now.A few email exchanges later, it was confirmed. Payment was via credit card directly using their website, so rather painless.There's a 2 week-ish wait as the batteries are made to order, but once its done, DHL takes about 4 working days to get it to your doorstep. And no, I didn't get taxed for it.View attachment 229282. Packaging - PROFESSIONALUnboxing it revealed 3 things : The manual, the battery itself, and an accessory pack. Everything was professionally packed and goods came in perfect condition.Can't get better than this. Yeah I know, I'm a sucker for packaging. :cool:View attachment 229293. Included accessories - COMPLETEWell, the manual ended up being pretty important. Besides notes on how to ensure your battery life is maximized (it can last you more than 5 years if you take good care of it), it also told me how to use the On/Off button.Its located on top, and lights up green when its "On". It automatically turns off when the battery gets drained below a certain threshold, so it doesn't leave you stranded. All you need to do is turn it on again and it will have enough juice to let u crank the engine a couple of times. Also, its good that you can turn it "Off", meaning you can do maintenance on the car without having to keep removing your negative terminal. View attachment 22930Another thing worth mentioning is that Tony was nice enough to send me 2 sets of terminals. One set of aluminium ones, and the normal brass ones. Guys, the aluminium ones weight almost nothing, it cost a bit more but you should get that. I know it might not be that significant, but if you're going for weight savings, might as well go all the way right? Plus its not that much more anyway. :top:Another thing to note is the aluminium SAE terminals can also fit other lightweight batteries like Oddysey, so you can purchase them seperately if you already have lightweight batteries in your car. I'm estimating about 70g weight savings on the terminals alone. Not a lot of weight, but it doesn't cost a lot more than brass/copper terminals. In your hands, you can REALLY feel the difference.Voltphreaks is currently having a promotion on them now, you can check it out by clicking here.View attachment 229324. Weight difference - Level : OMGWTFBBQMore than 23kg weight savings with just one mod, and without compromising battery capacity!!Carbon fibre bonnets and lids won't give you this kind of weight savings, plus they cost a bomb. Changing seats to race seats might, but you sacrifice on comfort (and they cost a bomb).I would say this is the BEST kg/ringgit weight loss ratio mod that you can do to your car (besides kicking your girlfriend(s) out of the car :thefinger:)If you already have lightweight rims & tyres, this should be your next step.View attachment 22946 View attachment 22931In terms of dimension, VPH900 is just slightly lower than the stock BMW battery, but much thinner and shorter.View attachment 22938 View attachment 22939 View attachment 22941 View attachment 229405. Installation - Intermediate, 1 to 2 hoursI'm not going to go into details on how to remove the battery, there's plenty of information on how to remove your particular BMW model's battery on the Internet already. I drive a E93, so its a bit more uncomfortable to work on with all the roof mechanism, but it was relatively straightforward.Here is where the battery is, and how it looks like after you remove the panels. Took me like 5 minutes (i've done it before a few times).Its a beyatch to get out, and be very very careful with your back as you're lifting a 26kg monster in an awkward position. Best if you had some help with it.View attachment 22933 View attachment 22935 View attachment 22934When you remove the terminals, please make sure you remove NEGATIVE first, then followed by POSITIVE. When putting the Voltphreaks in, just ensure that it is turned "Off", it doesn't matter which order you put the terminals back then.Turn it "On" when you have all the terminals secured firmly and you double check no wires are touching and that you got the polarities right (double check it again!).The most complex thing about the installation is probably figuring out how to secure the battery in place, and protect it from vibration.Mine is pretty ghetto la I have to admit, as you can see here I used zipties and some foam cut to fit to prevent it from moving/jumping.Its good enough as the battery is very light so its not gonna do a samba when you throw the car around (I tried this hehe. My tyres didn't like it very much)If you're anal and want a more professional job, I'm sure your neighbourhood accessory shop will be able to fabricate something with some sheet metal.View attachment 22936 View attachment 22937 View attachment 22942So here's the end product, before I put back all my panels. I would advice to start the car and drive it around just to make sure everything is ok and its securely in place, before you embark in putting everything back together.View attachment 22944 View attachment 22943 View attachment 22945Overall I'm pretty happy with the product, its expensive but the product is very well built and its definitely one of the most cost efficient weight loss mod you can do to your car.Its too soon to know if there's any positive impact to fuel consumption (only been 1 day), but I definitely feel the car lighten up significantly.Feels good when you throw it around corners, and also slight improvement on acceleration responsiveness off the line (caveat - my butt dyno might be suffering from placebo effect).Will report in further as the weeks go by on the battery performance, and also on fuel consumption.Thanks for reading, I hope it helped you in some way!If you're deciding to buy a Voltphreaks as well, mention to Tony that "Mike from Malaysia" introduced you and you might score yourself some discount!Cheers,MikeBMW E93 335i (He's one heavy mafaka. Not me, the car.)

Did some checking, here is some infos from the website in case you guys are wondering which model and what weight are those batteries.

WEIGHT SAVINGS
Weight savings in motorsports is a very important consideration. In addition to the equivalent of more horsepower (acceleration), better handling can be achieved by reducing weight. A Voltphreaks battery will weigh 1/2 to 1/4 of the weight of a similar "lightweight" lead-acid battery, and 1/5 to 1/10 of the weight of an OEM lead-acid battery.
  • A 5.25 pound Voltphreaks VPH750 battery can replace the stock battery in most applications.
  • A 7.25 pound Voltphreaks VPH900 battery can replace the stock battery in almost any car.
  • A 5.75 pound Voltphreaks VPR-P6 battery can be used to start almost any high-end race car.
  • A 9.25 pound Voltphreaks VPR-S40 battery can replace a top of the line lead-acid battery in a high-end race car with an extremely lightweight, but high capacity lithium battery.

Thanks MC, forgot to put up those info. :)

When your turn to buy? Must poison you a bit. 23kg is half the girls you've been carting around in your beast. If you change to Voltphreaks, you can fetch almost an extra chick already ;)

Quick update, so far the battery has been performing great. Engine cranks are quick and certain, and accessories like the roof mechanism works perfectly without the engine switched on. Had the radio on for an hour+ and it still had plenty of juice in it. It charges very quick from different reviews I foun on the internet, so I shouldn't be too worried for short distance driving (which I do relatively a lot of).

Butt dyno confirms minor improvement on acceleration off the line, and also in handling nimbleness. Not stellar differences, but definitely difference that you can feel from the driver's perspective. My KW V2 did increase in height slightly, so I would have to lower it again to balance the car out on the rear right side.

Fuel consumption is actually worse (!) but I think its because I've been whacking the car non stop haha. :p Will try to get a comparison for normal driving in the next tankfull of petrol.

Will open up everything again next week to see how the battery ghetto mount is holding up.

Its USD$92.80 for USPS, but I managed to negotiate to get a free upgrade to DHL.

You wouldn't want to ship via USPS, you would normally have to go to KLIA Kastam to clear it and pay tax. That has been my experience with buying car parts so far anyway.

You only need to visit KLIA customs if your item is deemed taxable by our friendly customs officers. I've shipped car parts with USPS Express Mail International (3-5 days) and USPS Priority Mail International (6-10 days) that are valued below RM500 and they get delivered to the address.

The only time I had to visit customs was when it somehow slipped my mind to undervalue that particular package and I had to pay tax. Usually packages from USPS (for express and priority) will be handled by Poslaju once it reaches our shores and unlike UPS/Fedex/DHL who clears the item and pays the tax for you, Poslaju will usually send you a letter first saying that your item has been detained at customs and if you'd like them to clear it for you there will be a certain amount of charges. Alternatively you can do all the clearance nonsense yourself.

loafer is right.

But somehow I realize that shipping via DHL, Fedex or UPS, a lot of times it will slip through without being taxed, even when classified as car parts (and all car parts are taxed 35%+10%, and it includes your shipping cost as well).

I only got taxed 1 out of 10 times with the above shipping methods.

With USPS, I kena 10 out of 10 times. Sucks. That's why I don't take a risk with USPS now, the tax will end up being a lot more expensive than UPS/Fedex/DHL shipping option upgrade.

ps - I've got taxed on items that were underrated to

Great share but IMHO 23kg savings and benefits if any not really worth the effort & money...

Why...
- we are not racing our car so every kg saved is not really important for lap time gain...
- for significant fuel saving, at least we need to shed the weight by hundred kgs...
- lead acid battery is proven to be more stable in higher operating temp while operating Li-ion above 70c is somewhat dangerous but like most Li-ion battery system there is a safety switch built into each cells to prevent explosion...

Do share if there are any significant benefits...

So far through past experiences the most "efficient" shipper in terms of their uncanny ability to slip past customs is DHL, UPS and Fedex...in that particular order.

Not all car parts is 35%+10%.

Customs has an online portal to check on tax values but I forgot the URL :(

PiSCaRGoT;720674 said:
loafer is right.

But somehow I realize that shipping via DHL, Fedex or UPS, a lot of times it will slip through without being taxed, even when classified as car parts (and all car parts are taxed 35%+10%, and it includes your shipping cost as well).

I only got taxed 1 out of 10 times with the above shipping methods.

With USPS, I kena 10 out of 10 times. Sucks. That's why I don't take a risk with USPS now, the tax will end up being a lot more expensive than UPS/Fedex/DHL shipping option upgrade.

ps - I've got taxed on items that were underrated to

Hi t2ribena,

I'm with you on this : Besides weight savings, there is no significant benefits of a lightweight lithium based battery. A battery is a battery is a battery.

However I disagree on the fact that if you don't race the car, weight saving is not really important.
As you would already know, weight reduction improves acceleration, braking, gets you better handling etc etc
I enjoy driving my car spirited from time to time whenever road and traffic condition allows, so I love making my car perform better in all aspects. Making more power is of course what everyone first jumps to, including me, but every car platform has a glass ceiling of bhp/torque before it gets exponantially more expensive (more so if you care about safety/reliability aspects as well).

I have hit the glass ceiling for my car, so weight saving comes naturally as the next thing to look at.
If seen alone, 23kg might not make significant differences, but if a weight reduction project includes lightweight wheels, swapping to non-rf tyres, carbon fibre bonnet/trunk, lightweight exhaust (which is essentially my plans), you could possibly achieve up to 100kg reduction, which then suddenly becomes very significant.

And amongst everything in the list above, RM3k for 23kg savings is probably the most cost efficient. Besides gutting the interior/removing seats of course (which I am not willing to do). Not saying its not a lot of money, RM3k is a lot, but it is the most efficient if one is going down this route.

Top Bottom