water spare tank

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

machaplai

Club Guest
just now check my water spare tank...waw! i saw the water colour is brown with redpink colour..and the spare water is less more...so how to solve this problem? need to change the automatic oil cooler or do the top ovalhaul? how much the expance? thanx all sifu here

machaplai;432711 said:
just now check my water spare tank...waw! i saw the water colour is brown with redpink colour..and the spare water is less more...so how to solve this problem? need to change the automatic oil cooler or do the top ovalhaul? how much the expance? thanx all sifu here
if that is the expansion tank u r taking about for your cooling system, u just need to flush them and fill with new coolant. I dun understand why u need to change the ATF oil cooler or do top overhaul?

problem just solved yesterday....cost me rm1965...i changed radiotor cooler,automatic oil cooler,termostat,gearbox flush,etc.........god damm coz ATF mix with water oledi..flush gearbox use 14 bottle of atf...inside the radiator cooler also mix with atf....at tuesday i need to change the atf again..

jinooi;432967 said:
erm, how did ATF (auto transmission fluid) get into you radiator?
the culprit should be the gearbox oil cooler when it leaked. it is recommended to change it around 80-90K. the gearbox oil is cool by running through the gearbox oil cooler interconnecting with the coolant (this is what the mechanic told me)

mechanic is bullshitting you. there's no such thing!!!

radiator cools engine only. it's a closed circuit. only thing that will leak into the radiator is engine oil, e.g. if you've got a blown head gasket.

gearbox is another closed circuit. the transmission oil cools the gearbox, and it is advised that you change the atf at about 100,000km. actually more frequently if you drive your car hard.

so there is absolutely no way that the radiator coolant gets mixed up with the transmission coolant (ATF).

get a second opinion fast!

jinooi;432988 said:

radiator cools engine only. it's a closed circuit. only thing that will leak into the radiator is engine oil, e.g. if you've got a blown head gasket.

gearbox is another closed circuit. the transmission oil cools the gearbox, and it is advised that you change the atf at about 100,000km. actually more frequently if you drive your car hard.

so there is absolutely no way that the radiator coolant gets mixed up with the transmission coolant (ATF).

i'm waiting there for repair...its true...try see this link(http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL32&mospid=47610&btnr=17_0148&hg=17&fg=05)..the atf cooler really connect to the water radiator..thanx for opinion

i'm planning to modify the stock atf cooler to e34 atf cooler..e34 atf cooler is working independence and get a more bigger atf cooler size like wira water cooler...is it ok? the bmw dealer mechanic told me like tat..thanx for advice..

jinooi;432988 said:

e46 ATF is liquid cooled. the oil cooler is mounted underneath the radiator.
to ensure it's working properly, check the EGS temperature regularly.

jinooi;432988 said:

ATF cooler for E46 is shown below:

Oil cooling, automatic gearbox A5S ...R - BMW parts catalog

As for E36, the Oil Cooler is separated from the normal radiator.

wait a minute...

but still this doesn't explain why the TS found ATF in his radiator coolant... not unless the tranny housing is cracked?

the ATF in the gearbox, is it for cooling or just lubrication only?

and when we install an transmission cooler, is it going to cool the ATF or the radiator coolant?

i'm getting a bit confused...

jinooi;433211 said:
wait a minute...

but still this doesn't explain why the TS found ATF in his radiator coolant... not unless the tranny housing is cracked?

the ATF in the gearbox, is it for cooling or just lubrication only?

and when we install an transmission cooler, is it going to cool the ATF or the radiator coolant?

i'm getting a bit confused...

The ATF is for the hydraulic power for changing the automatic gears in the tranny. It is driven by a hydraulic pump in the gearbox. When ATF or oil is compress, it will generate heat hence you need to cool the ATF oil. The ATF oil is cool via 2 pipes which circulate the oil from the pump to the ATF cooler and back to the oil sump.

The radiator serve 2 functions.
1. To cool the engine via water/heat transfer
2. to cool the ATF.

jinooi;433211 said:
wait a minute...

radiator coolant circulates the Gb oil cooler to cool down the ATF.
if there is a leak or crack, then the 2 get mixed up. ended up ATF mixed with coolant in the radiator and coolant mixed with ATF in the gearbox.

just now went to work shop to flush again....ai.......my gearbox still slip...think wanto ovalhault gearbox..fu..heart so pain

Top Bottom