Water Level - E46

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wiranoob

Club Guest
Hi Sifus. Just wanted to know that is it normal for the water level in the coolant expansion tank to reduce afer some times, says within 2 weeks, the water level drop about 1 to 2 inch? do this indicate got any leakage, or is it normal for the the expansion tank to lose so water due to its hot engine? thanx

Water levels on my car doesn't drop at all for at least a 3-4 wks. Do a radiator pressure test and check all the interconnecting hose ...

wiranoob;505934 said:
Hi Sifus. Just wanted to know that is it normal for the water level in the coolant expansion tank to reduce afer some times, says within 2 weeks, the water level drop about 1 to 2 inch? do this indicate got any leakage, or is it normal for the the expansion tank to lose so water due to its hot engine? thanx

How old is your car?
What is the mileage clock?
When was the last time the expansion tank, water hose and thermostat were change?
What is your engine model?

No, water level seldom dropped unless there is a leak in the cooling system.

wiranoob;505934 said:

I think it is normal for the water level to reduce after sometimes due to its hot engine.....when you top up the water into the water tank dont forgrt to loosen the overflow valve/screw as well..... do it early in the morning before you start your car...ie while the engine is cool.....

regards

Capt Mohamad Kassim Ali;506012 said:
I think it is normal for the water level to reduce after sometimes due to its hot engine.....when you top up the water into the water tank dont forgrt to loosen the overflow valve/screw as well..... do it early in the morning before you start your car...ie while the engine is cool.....

regards

No lar, it not normal to drop 2" every two weeks. there is a hairline crack somewhere in the hose or radiator or expansion tank or seal leaking at the temperature sensor.

I use to top up every week and sometime low coolant alarm come ON. At first found a hairline crack on the radiator. Change the radiator and I have to top up every 2 weeks. Later change the expansion tank and the rubber hose and I did not top up since 4months.

The expansion tank also have a hairline crack below the nozzle. The water stain could only be seen after it was removed.

I will check every week .
There was one time i have to top up everyday cuz of the coolent not functioning well . .
Hopefully fixed .

jeffreychung;506024 said:
I will check every week .
There was one time i have to top up everyday cuz of the coolent not functioning well . .
Hopefully fixed .

JC, what did you do the fix the problem?

You may be suffering a small leak in the temperature sensor located in the lower left radiator hose. The lower left hose from the radiator holds a temperature sensor that controls the electrical fan. This sensor uses an O-ring that can shrink and harden with age, allowing small amounts of coolant to ooze when the engine is hot and the radiator is under pressure, but the amount evaporates or blows off, without leaving much of a trace. No tools are needed and the only part you have to get is a new sensor, P/N 13621433077

View attachment 13168

Yes, i had experience it before...”random probability”.... if hairline cracking on the hose...it will push out water when you do lot of travel ie when there is a pressure...common sense check.... if you travel long distance or do lot of travel, water level may drop tremendously...so.... What you need to do is to top up the container. Leave it overnight.... check it next morning ...if it is hairline crack on the hose the water level normally does not drop (i assume) but if the sensor problem, you will be able to trace water stag on the floor... otherwise you need to check your wallet….

that is my common sense thought..

Regards

Daiichi;506037 said:
You may be suffering a small leak in the temperature sensor located in the lower left radiator hose. The lower left hose from the radiator holds a temperature sensor that controls the electrical fan. This sensor uses an O-ring that can shrink and harden with age, allowing small amounts of coolant to ooze when the engine is hot and the radiator is under pressure, but the amount evaporates or blows off, without leaving much of a trace. No tools are needed and the only part you have to get is a new sensor, P/N 13621433077

View attachment 13168

how much is the sensor? i have this problem as well for now.
if radiator or expansion tank have hairline crack will the water be leaked out during the pressure test? mine shown none.

Top Bottom