Wanna swap M40B18 to M42B18 for my E36 318i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jiraiye

Club Guest
HI guys, need advice and recommendations on the swap:1) Confirm that its a plug and play except for requirement to modify the exhaust a bit? What exactly is required to be modded for the exhaust?2) How much does a M42B18 cost? including wiring harness and also ECU? Possible to provide contacts for the chop shop?3) Which workshop in JB recommended for this task? Any bros with experience?Thank you in advance for sharing!

Hurmmm, I just did mine...
But the mechanic told me that its a "PUPUS ENGINE"... Not a good decision to put in M42B18...
Any comment peeps?

to convert M40 to M42 in the E36 will need to have the full wire harness... It would be a more straight forward job compared to doing it for the E30.

As for "PUPUS ENGINE", the last of the M42 were produced in 1995 before it was replaced with the M44. So the engine you'll get from the yards would be at least 15 years... However, the M42 is known to be a hardy, robust engine requiring only routine maintenance...

Price for the M42 is also getting a bit high nowadays. I guess there are less and less M42 to be sourced, hence the 'PUPUS ENGINE' comment.

if you want less headache ...just plonk in an m50 as an alternative compared to an m42 which as fabian mentioned is getting a bit high nowadays ...

hi guys, i did the swap, satisfied with the power increase...but quite confused over why it vibrates quite hard during idling and also why the noise so loud....my gearbox and engine mountings are new...anyway to reduce engine noise within the car???

the M42 vibrates a bit more but not by a lot... and what noise? lifter noise? or chain noise?? maybe engine needs 'running in' after sitting idle for a long time after being chopped :p... drive around for few days and it shud gradually go away..
Happened to my engine too.

vibration during idling can be felt from my seat near the centre console... noise i also dunno how to describe, maybe is the sound proof material in the engine bay wear off? any ways to sound proof the engine bay?

Top Bottom