Toyota Caldina GT4

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

OSFlanker

Club Guest
Zoggee, nelsone30 and I had the pleasure of being given a taxi ride in a Caldina GT4 that has the 3SG turbocharged engine and 4WD.What a car! Even though it's an auto, the power is superb, u really get a kick from the torque. The handling is also superb. Granted the owner upgraded the tyres to Yoko Advan Neova but the "SUV" handles like a car and we had fun having a "drift maestro" taking us round corners in the car.The "drift maestro" also tapaued some FR sport cars coming down Genting in this automatic "SUV".At a price of circa RM180k for a grey import (I think it's 2003 or 2004 car), this car looks like good value for the horsepower. Being a JDM, it comes with with rear video reverse sensor and inflatable recaro seats (so I was told). But these "gimmicks" are just the sideshow, the engine and handling are really impressive!

hey OSF... how about we go for a ride in my Airtrek. Its pretty fast in stock form but certainly not a quick as the Caldina.

I heard that these cars can only get up to 180 km/h due to the speed limiter. Its kinda pathetic. I've gotten, as you would say 'tapaued' on the highway cause it doesn't reach 200

Yes, JDM do have a speed limiter but I think blown engines are not best suited for prolong hispeed runs anyway. You better get an M car or Porsche for autobahn style hispeed runs.

The Airtrek looks bulkier than the Caldina, and taller too. But I have never tried the Airtrek, coz I don't like the looks. The Caldina looks sleeker, but naturally the interior and boot space will suffer compared to the Airtrek. The Subaru Legecy is currently sold here in sedan form only, I have not seen the Legacy touring version so it's not a like to like comparison to the Caldina.

I've driven an Airtrek Turbo extensively. The gearbox in auto mode is the most intuitive I've ever experienced. Fuzzy logic, for certain! I've never driven a tip Porsche or current big-engined BMW, so I'm sure those slushboxes are superior.

Great space and ground clearance, twin sunroofs, dodgy interior quality, laughable disco-light HU and rear seat comfort and supreme autobox; but what lets it down in my eyes is, like all Evos (maybe barring the MIVEC version), is the harsh agricultural- feeling engine.

I'm sure the Caldina drives and handles a lot better, though it didn't fare very well in a Best Motoring Tsukuba battle of the performance estates / "crossovers".

Top Bottom