The New M3

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

535i

Club Guest
Tuesday April 10, 2007 The M3 is dead, long live the M3! It's a bit like Bond, the BMW M3. Same name, but with different faces taking the role through the 21 years of its existence. And like Bond, there's a new star playing the M3. Two, actually. The first is the E92 Coupé derivative of the type, which has just had its production details announced, and which will go on sale in the third-quarter of this year, followed by the E90 sedan variant in 2008.
M3%20front.jpg
Looks like the standard E92 Coupe, but there are lots of signs that it isn't.Externally, apart from the load-bearing structure, the new BMW M3 Coupé carries over only the doors, bootlid, windows and front/rear lamps from the standard coupe. The front aluminium bonnet is one giveaway, with its striking powerdome and two air intakes providing the visual cues, as are the side gills, which is where the side repeaters and M3 logo sit.
M3%20rear.jpg
Alright, so it may be a little harder to tell from this angle.The other giveaway is the carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic roof panel with exposed weave the M3 Coupé wears; it's the first full production car in its class to feature a CFP roof, which shaves 5kg off over a conventional roof panel and also helps lowers the centre of gravity in the process. At the rear, an aerodynamically-efficient diffuser emphasises BMW M’s trademark twin double exhaust pipes protruding from beneath the valance, and the bootlid features a discreet lip spoiler.
M3%20engine.jpg
New. And willing.A new 4.0l V8 block powers the M3 Coupé, with 420bhp at 8,300rpm and 400Nm of torque at 3,900rpm being the figures. Redline is at 8,400rpm, and 85% of torque is available at 6,500rpm on. Transmission is the BMW M six-speed manual gearbox, with a Variable M differential lock in attendance. Rather tidily, the car's power-to-weight ratio is a neat 3.8kg per horsepower.
M3%20stick.jpg
Stick shift lovers, rejoice!Like its larger M siblings, the new M3 Coupé also features an MDrive button that brings together numerous personalised functions of the car. This allows settings for the optional Electronic Damper Control (Normal, Comfort and Sport), three DSC+ traction control settings and three specific engine control maps, plus the response rate of the Servotronic power steering to be driver specified.
M3%20meteres.jpg
And how fast will she go?The vehicle features 18-inch double-spoke light-alloy wheels as standard, with a 19-inch option available. And because it is what it is, four special paintwork options exclusive to BMW M are available for it, besides the usual black, white, grey and graphite fare.

Am surprised that it has only 420bhp. Thought it will be higher than the RS4?

ALBundy;206459 said:
Am surprised that it has only 420bhp. Thought it will be higher than the RS4?

Maybe 420 kuda lumba - bukan kuda padi ... :D ..

Let's hear what Jeremy has to say abt this car ...

RS4 has a 4.2 V8... compared to the M3...
And the E39 M5 4.0 V8 has 400bhp compared to the M3's 420bhp.
So in terms of bhp/liter, it has got 105bhp/liter. anyway, how the engine would really perform would be the torque curve. I've seen somewhere showing the FAT PLATEU of torque at the low and mid RPM range...

Engine Spec for RS4

Type: V8
Displacement cu in (cc): 254 (4163)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 420(323) / 7800
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 317(430) / 5500
Redline at RPM: 8250

fabianyee;206467 said:
RS4 has a 4.2 V8... compared to the M3...
And the E39 M5 4.0 V8 has 400bhp compared to the M3's 420bhp.
So in terms of bhp/liter, it has got 105bhp/liter. anyway, how the engine would really perform would be the torque curve. I've seen somewhere showing the FAT PLATEU of torque at the low and mid RPM range...

Engine Spec for RS4

Type: V8
Displacement cu in (cc): 254 (4163)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 420(323) / 7800
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 317(430) / 5500
Redline at RPM: 8250

IN terms of engineering, BMW has always regard Audi as the closest competitor. As such I am a little surprised that, the new M3 has equivalent BHP compared to the RS4 (despite the higher bhp/liter). It has always been a tradition for BMW to produce higher bhp cars than Audi, in each of the specific market segment. Nevertheless, it will be blardy fast car....wonder if the exhaust note will be close to a Ferrari since its a V8 now :)

535i;206463 said:
Maybe 420 kuda lumba - bukan kuda padi ... :D ..

Let's hear what Jeremy has to say abt this car ...

Yup, I can't wait for this review too. Hope it's available on YouTube soon. It may not harness as much bhp as the Owwwwdeee but in the end, the 0000 has never matched up with BMW in terms of speed, how it's applied to the tarmac and drivers' satisfaction. It's a good move to launch the new M3 in E92 guise! I bet this is gonna sell like pancakes all over the world, as even the standard E92 is going through a worldwide shortage. Some of us got to learn about this from ze Jermans during the recent BMW Paddock events.

A nice ride for sure, shame had to use a stonking great V8 though. This current trend seems very american muscle car, gold medallion hairy chest etc.
Certainly a far cry from the original M3.

with that manual knob sticking out, the new baby is gonna stick out his tounge to the RS4.

Nemesis;206566 said:
A nice ride for sure, shame had to use a stonking great V8 though. This current trend seems very american muscle car, gold medallion hairy chest etc.
Certainly a far cry from the original M3.

I wasn't feeling the move to a V8 from the classic I-6 config until I found out that the new V8 weighs less than the outgoing I-6 and has a higher redline. So its a special high-strung V8 that is eons away from the lazy detroit style push-rod V8 engines we've come to associate V8s with.

I wan I wan!

Even the 335 is blardy fast oredi....
0-100 in 5.5, which is just shy of the current E46 M3!!!!

the ultimate....in every sense..if only we have the autobahn here...scin you have one of the most elegant e30 i came across...still have it?

I am selling it.....
.JUST KIDDING!!!!

KL2DC;206616 said:
I wasn't feeling the move to a V8 from the classic I-6 config until I found out that the new V8 weighs less than the outgoing I-6 and has a higher redline. So its a special high-strung V8 that is eons away from the lazy detroit style push-rod V8 engines we've come to associate V8s with.

I guess thats progress, maybe i'm just gettin old hehe.
Btw it's also incredibly ugly, but that's not peculiar to the M3 alone.

Awww.... the clean lines sorta 'spoils' the party for the must-have-garang-spoiler brigade...

Top Bottom