The Deadliest Motor Racing Event in History

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

okow

Club Guest
The deadliest motor race is none other that The Isle Of Man TT. This year marks its 100 year anniversary and true to its infamous tag, claimed 3 more lives. In its 100 years of existence it has claimed a total of 233 lives!Read further:Three dead in Isle of Man TTJune 09, 2007 12:00 A RIDER and two spectators died in the final event of the Isle of Man TT in a crash that cast a pall over the 100th anniversary celebrations of motorcycling's oldest and deadliest road races.The official TT Web site named the rider as 34-year-old Briton Marc Ramsbotham, a married man and newcomer to the event. One spectator died at the scene of the accident, the 26th milestone on the mountain course, and another later in hospital. Two more were injured. The Norfolk rider was competing in the six-lap Senior TT (Tourist Trophy), a blue riband event watched by tens of thousands of visitors to the island as well as former champions including John Surtees and Giacomo Agostini. An investigation was under way into the causes of the accident. The deaths, on a circuit that before Friday had claimed 223 lives since the inaugural Tourist Trophy race of 1907, overshadowed what had otherwise been a memorable close to the festival of road racing. Briton John McGuinness won the senior TT to become the first rider to lap the island circuit at an average speed of more than 130mph. McGuinness's 13th TT win, after his triumph in the weather-delayed opening Superbike TT on Monday, made him the third most successful rider in the event's 100 year history. His fastest lap was timed at 130.354 mph, stripping 51 seconds off the previous record. The TT course pits riders against the clock over 37.73 miles on public roads and with the start and finish in Douglas. Top speeds exceed 200 mph (320kph). This year's sole major incident before Friday was a crash in Tuesday's Superstock TT that left New Zealand's former winner Shaun Harris in a critical condition in hospital. Despite the dangers, and calls in some quarters for the TT to be banned, the races remain oversubscribed with riders accepting the risks. "When I shut my visor and get on the bike, that's the best feeling in the world. You're on your own, you're free and racing against the clock. It's just you and the circuit,'' McGuinness said last week. "If you win one, there's no better feeling in the world.''

IOM TT - yes, there's nothing like it and its 37 miles of sheer terror.

I have an on board video CD.......even in rain, they dun slow down and it just get scarier!

This is my dream track.....to ride on but at a snail's pace.....

I knew I would get a response from you. The 'good thing' about it is that after so many fatalities, they are still running it. It is sheer adrenaline to the max and this race separates the 'boys from the men'.. curbs, lamposts, manholes, humps and bumps, moss, dried and damp leaves, walls, spectators, all these and 320kmh speeds!

No prizes to guess what our authorities would have done if this was held here.

Dataran Merdeka - Flooded Again

I hope no BMWs were caught in this flood yesterday. I made a posting (new thread) a few weeks back about me offering my services for insuring cars, etc.. It was deleted by mods for soliciting business, I think ( I was not aware of this, mainly because I have not read the site rules. therefore, I can't plead ignorance :) ).

My main contention for this thread is that I mentioned in the former thread I started, that all of us should add "extra perils" cover to our motor insurance policies to extend the coverage to include damage by floods, landslips, trees crashing down on the vehicles, etc.. The premium rate is O.5% of the insured value, on top of the premium you would pay for comprehensive cover. Comprehensive cover does not cover extra perils.

Now, if your vehicle has been damaged by one or more of these perils which was "created by development in the surroundings, then get a good lawyer who can prove negligence on the developer's part. This is even though you may not have covered for extra perils.

Most people prefer to "self-insure" which means they prefer to bear the risk themselves in order to save from paying extra premium. If you pay a lot of money for your car; don't you think its worth paying a wee bit more in premiums to protect your investment from all damage? Cheers guys & gals.

As for those whose vehicles were in Dataran merdeka yesterday, my sympathies to them.

INNOVATOR;222236 said:
I hope no BMWs were caught in this flood yesterday. I made a posting (new thread) a few weeks back about me offering my services for insuring cars, etc.. It was deleted by mods for soliciting business, I think ( I was not aware of this, mainly because I have not read the site rules. therefore, I can't plead ignorance :) ).

My main contention for this thread is that I mentioned in the former thread I started, that all of us should add "extra perils" cover to our motor insurance policies to extend the coverage to include damage by floods, landslips, trees crashing down on the vehicles, etc.. The premium rate is O.5% of the insured value, on top of the premium you would pay for comprehensive cover. Comprehensive cover does not cover extra perils.

Now, if your vehicle has been damaged by one or more of these perils which was "created by development in the surroundings, then get a good lawyer who can prove negligence on the developer's part. This is even though you may not have covered for extra perils.

Most people prefer to "self-insure" which means they prefer to bear the risk themselves in order to save from paying extra premium. If you pay a lot of money for your car; don't you think its worth paying a wee bit more in premiums to protect your investment from all damage? Cheers guys & gals.

As for those whose vehicles were in Dataran merdeka yesterday, my sympathies to them.

I do agree that you are offering good and sound advise.....but what has this got to do with The Isle Of man TT?

okow;222265 said:
I do agree that you are offering good and sound advise.....but what has this got to do with The Isle Of man TT?

He can offer insurance for us to ride on Isle of Man TT?????

I was reading about Joey Dunlop on wikipaedia and it's ironic that despite him winning Isle of Man TT many times and racing on very powerful bikes, he was actually killed while racing 125cc, in Estonia too??!!

OSFlanker;222297 said:
He can offer insurance for us to ride on Isle of Man TT?????

I was reading about Joey Dunlop on wikipaedia and it's ironic that despite him winning Isle of Man TT many times and racing on very powerful bikes, he was actually killed while racing 125cc, in Estonia too??!!

Yup, that proves that motorcycle racing is dangerous. Look what happened to Wayne Rainey, one of the safest riders of GP. One bad fall and he is paralyzed for life.

The late Joey Dunlop must have been the most successful TT rider ever having won not only so many times but also in all classes, from the 125 to the big1 litre capacity.

Joey Dunlop - 1996

dun96.jpg

May I know what sort of bikes are raced on Isle of Man TT? Are they full race bikes like in MotoGP and World Superbike Championship or prepped by production bikes?

OSFlanker;222327 said:
May I know what sort of bikes are raced on Isle of Man TT? Are they full race bikes like in MotoGP and World Superbike Championship or prepped by production bikes?

They have various categories and even a race for side-cars. Most entrands use Superbikes or Superstock (production, amateur) or factory SBK type for the more serious ones. GP500s are also used but that doesnt necessarily give then an advantage.

Remember this is a mountain, street racetrack, twisties, u turns, in the city etc and you'd need an all rounder... in low end power without compromising on top end, softer damping for better handling street surfaces and even choosing tires is so important as the asphalt is not racetrack specs. ...and 1 lap is 37.7km long. You race 6 laps. It would be almost impossible to remorise all the various lines to take into each corner.....many are blind ones too!

Okow,

Ha ha - U know me-lar.......2 wheels still has a calling for me! I just rode SLOWLY a souped up Modenas 115 4 stroke with very high foot pegs set up yesterday. Even had to bump start the damm thing.....where? at the kart track of course as they one or two for paddock bikes and yes, it was wet.

Anyway, back to IOM - I have a book also showing most of the features of the track and how to ride it......

On type of bikes, OSF - no kapchais but the Senior class gets the trick Superbikes. Yes, I think some did try with the GP500 2 stroke bikes..... I also recall IOM was at one stage part of the World GP racing calendar...until the riders boycotted it just like another track in Europe called Imatra. ( not Karma Sutra okie...) Why? Many fatalities lar....

IOM was where Honda-san 1st sapu the podium with their 6 cylinders 250cc ( I think ).....miniature japan watches! It was the place where many other Jap bike makers came over to race their machines and springboard into the lucrative Motorcyle market ( then ).

OSF - one day, we watch my IOM CD together but then do a Utube search, I am sure u get a onboard footage.....my palms are sweating now oredi!

Btw, Mr INNOVATOR - please dun peddle ur wares here-lar......I know u mean well but pls do the rite thing n not spoil THIS thread.

T Q.

I got to know about Isle Of the Mann races thru a British magazines..like Back Street Heroes and Classic Bikes,and my classic bike mentor whos a retired teacher now at his 70s...still riding his Triumph 3TA.

Jules;222351 said:
Okow,

Ha ha - U know me-lar.......2 wheels still has a calling for me! I just rode SLOWLY a souped up Modenas 115 4 stroke with very high foot pegs set up yesterday. Even had to bump start the damm thing.....where? at the kart track of course as they one or two for paddock bikes and yes, it was wet.

Anyway, back to IOM - I have a book also showing most of the features of the track and how to ride it......

On type of bikes, OSF - no kapchais but the Senior class gets the trick Superbikes. Yes, I think some did try with the GP500 2 stroke bikes..... I also recall IOM was at one stage part of the World GP racing calendar...until the riders boycotted it just like another track in Europe called Imatra. ( not Karma Sutra okie...) Why? Many fatalities lar....

IOM was where Honda-san 1st sapu the podium with their 6 cylinders 250cc ( I think ).....miniature japan watches! It was the place where many other Jap bike makers came over to race their machines and springboard into the lucrative Motorcyle market ( then ).

OSF - one day, we watch my IOM CD together but then do a Utube search, I am sure u get a onboard footage.....my palms are sweating now oredi!

Jules,

Once a biker always a biker! The itch will always be there, that's why I stay away.. just like picking up a fag after you stop smoking, I guess.

Actually pocket bikes look like fun. Some of my friends organised a pocket bike race and clinic last week at Sepang...was tempted to go, sigh. This would be a good platform for your kids to take up riding, track pocket bikes and children's motorcross.

One of my last races was on a one make Kawa Kips 150cc. That was fun, almost full trottle all the way, max only 160-170kmh. Sigh, those were the days.

Zoggee;222367 said:
I got to know about Isle Of the Mann races thru a British magazines..like Back Street Heroes and Classic Bikes,and my classic bike mentor whos a retired teacher now at his 70s...still riding his Triumph 3TA.

Hey Zoggs,

Classic bikes are fun but its now difficult to get parts. Dont like to replace with Jap/Taiwan parts. Had a Triumph Speed Twin and Tiger100. ...chopper look alike with monkey bars and stepped seats and it sounded like a Volkswagon.

Okow, sorry about this. Not sure how, it got into this thread and not a new one on its own. If someone could help me shift IT to its own.

Jules, if it was your car in the flood yesterday, or the one a few years ago in the same place, or the recent Shah Alam flood; what would you do? In the Shah Alam flood; AB Glenmarie had to repair over 6 cars. THis is not in the warranty and neither is it in your comprehensive insurance cover. Let us not forget there are landslips and things like trees falling, etc.. I feel sorry for the lady and two children in the flood yesterday where a tree fell on them. And the guy a few years ago who had his 7-series crushed in half when a tree fell on it during a storm.

Whether you or others buy from me or not your motor insurance, that is up to you or any individual. Did your servicing insurance agent mention or suggest that you get this extra perils cover for your expensive investment (I hope that I can make this assumption that we all treat our BMWs as expensive investments, worth looking after properly)? Btw, what I am doing is called "networking" - better to support your fellow BMW owners by sourcing out their products and services from them, right? Unless, the only things important on this forum is talking about bolts & nuts, engines, oil & tyres and bawdy jokes. :)

HAVE A SUPER FANTASTIC DAY!!!

Jules, one more thing, please accept my apologies if I have spoilt THIS thread. It was not my intention and never has been to spoil ANY THREAD. Have fun, bro!

INNOVATOR, no worries, Im sure it was a genuine mistake. Why dont you delete your earlier post and repost it in a new thread.

haha , bikers, or ex-bikers hangout thread.......for me i'm about still 50-50......

rush will always be there, the most un-describle feeling is when you're on 200kmph with just the wind rushing thru'........

guess thats what the Isle of Man TT is still on.....

okow;222400 said:
Hey Zoggs,

Classic bikes are fun but its now difficult to get parts. Dont like to replace with Jap/Taiwan parts. Had a Triumph Speed Twin and Tiger100. ...chopper look alike with monkey bars and stepped seats and it sounded like a Volkswagon.

I always like the singles...The AJS 3gl is one of a kind. A friend still has a Front Girder Forks BSA M20 Military Model up North. Still with Selangor Registration No. that starts with S2449. It was before our country independent. He also has a Ariel Arrow Big Head 700cc singles which was own by the late Loh Boon Siew.

Brother Okow...my Ultimate bike ,if I can afford one is still The Vincent H.R.D...model Black Shadow.

okow,

let's do a pocket bike fun ride.......there was one HIRE place on a rooftop for this but dunno if still running or not?

zoggee - i no scare you one!

Top Bottom