strong petrol smell at back of car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mika

Club Guest
guys,

i have noticed a strong petrol smell at back of my e39, i tried to find any droplets at the floor but could't find any.
i tried to find spillage at the petrol inlet but to no avail also, the smell seems to be the strongest from the left rear wheel area.

what do u think might be the cause?

i understand that e39 has two petrol tanks left and right. you might want to try remove your rear seats and check the fuel pumps and other things related. might be loose connection or there might be gap.

Pull up your rear seats, you can see the top of the fuel tanks there. 2 possibility, either the fuel hose have deteriorated or tge rubber gasket has broken. Chech both sides. Could be overflowing when you fill to the brim.

19.png

these are the components that are located at the LH rear wheel well,behind the plastic splash shield.you gotta remove the splash shield to see which rubber tube has collapsed or deteriorated. the charcoal filter (10) or expansion tank (1) may also be at fault.gud lak.

wow great info guys..i will try that..but first, how to open up the rear seats? sorry..

Imagine sitting in the back, pull up where your crotch would be. Just pull it upwards, there are two latch either side and the seat should just come out.

haywire said:
Imagine sitting in the back, pull up where your crotch would be. Just pull it upwards, there are two latch either side and the seat should just come out.
haha nice illustration, will try that! thanks!

Top Bottom