Steering Problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

skar19

Retired
There is a clicking noise coming from the steering column, sounds metal rubbing against plastic, the steering feels heavy sometimes.1. no leak from the rack2. steering fluid level is good3. no whinning noise what is happening? the noise is coming from inside the car. any idea what it could be? :dunno:

your brake pads could have worned off, vibrations travel through the car's body, you can hear it from inside
or worst, the calipers are not tighten properly..... :eek:

ball joint giving way, but ususal signs are more vibrations then noise..... :ph34r:

aircond bearings making noise..... :(

steering column has a colony of rats......squeek, squeek :rofl: :rofl:

i think i rather have the rat infestation problem above the rest, hehhe at least they can be terminated.

1. caliper ok
2.brake pads ok
3.aircond bearings....well my switch doesnt work so cant turn on the AC
4. Rats...you never know :D

the sound is directly behind the steering wheel, gonna open it up tomorrow and have a look. hopefully its not something bad. Even worst all of the above! touchwood.

My turn with the noise now. Sometimes, on a certain turn of the wheel, I get a creaking sound.
It doesn't sound metallic but would anybody happen to kno what's der possible cause? :blink:

skar,

get some grease with you since you are going to open it up

there maybe a lack of greasing inbetween the steering and shaft, check for loose parts

and don't forget to get your cat to accompany you , just in case you get some runners.......

Originally posted by teejay@Aug 11 2005, 05:55 PM
skar,

there maybe a lack of greasing inbetween the steering and shaft, check for loose parts

and don't forget to get your cat to accompany you , just in case you get some runners.......
thanks for the tip, unfortunately i dont have a cat.

is there a bearing for the steering column? could that have worn out or ceased to function?

just check on problem (noise when turn my steering)....

Problem rectify - left ball joint and right lower arm have to replace...the workshop quoted me around rm300. Is that normal price?

Any advice...?

Originally posted by wann77@Aug 11 2005, 05:46 PM
Mine also got noise one when turn...haven't check yet....
there are many different types of noise that can come from the steering area, the whinning one is when your power steering fluid is low followed by heavy steering and whinning. make sure you check your fluid level.

the noise coming from my car, is different something that i never heard before, opening up the steering to see what could be the problem.

couple of days back kinaka came over for a drink and i asked to see what might be wrong, when he test drove my car there was absolutely no noise the car was behaving herself! damn it off all days!!

today again it started followed by heavy steering.

Originally posted by wann77@Aug 13 2005, 02:01 AM
just check on problem (noise when turn my steering)....

Problem rectify - left ball joint and right lower arm have to replace...the workshop quoted me around rm300. Is that normal price?

Any advice...?
not sure man, does it include labour? :dunno:

Originally posted by teejay@Aug 11 2005, 05:55 PM
skar,

applied some grease on the bearing, the noise continued for about an hour, but now there isnt any noise, the steering response feels normal if not better, will keep you guys updated

Top Bottom