spoilt Vanos solenoid valve

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Harbinger

Club Guest
During my regular 5,000km service interval yesterday, found out that the Launch diagnostics displayed Trouble Code 7, which meant a spoilt Vanos solenoid valve in my 1994 E36 325i.I understand this will result in poor pickup because camshaft timing is no longer optimised.Will get it fixed soon. Is it an easy job taking no more than 2 hours? I read somewhere the valve is hard to reach and required dismantling of the intake manifold. After some crucial parts are removed, it's quick and easy to replace the valve. Betulkah?The road speed sensor also showed error code but after repeated diagnostic checks, it turned out to be a false positive.Nothing's free. But is RM75 for a 10-min check/rechecks considered reasonable? Are workshops required by law to follow a standard scheme in charging for labour? If so, is it based on time taken and/or job complexity?Times are tough and one has to start going through charges with a fine toothcomb.

i've worked as a mechanic once... labor charge was calculated depend on the complexity of the task. but that depends on the mechanic. there's no law on labor charge. mechanic just billed it by as much as he likes. sometimes they done some research on other workshop to set their charges. but if you go to BMW, the charges are standardized no matter where.

the solenoid work are all the same no matter vanos or vtec or mvec. the service shouldn't take more than couple of hours. Don't know about the RM75 charge is reasonable or not but in sarawak, that's fair enough.. Cheerio mate :)

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Bro i had a friend who busted solenoid for the vanos on his former e36 328. At that time there was a repair kit for it. Not really sure if the repair kit for the solenoid or the vanos unit itself..

Sifu's ???

cheers :D

three28;379332 said:
Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Bro i had a friend who busted solenoid for the vanos on his former e36 328. At that time there was a repair kit for it. Not really sure if the repair kit for the solenoid or the vanos unit itself..

Sifu's ???

cheers :D

vanos unit.
solenoid repair kit, not that i heard.. if have let me know please.:wink:

must be good friend wt mechanic.. diagnostic = foc

but i think $75 is ok la.. my mech charged me $80 for the first time.. after that every time service i plug it in... no charge!!

Top Bottom