Shipping car from Australia to here

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Noel39

Club Guest
Hey all, anyone of you happen to know how much it cost to ship a car from australia to here (kl, malaysia)? and also, how would the car be taxed.Cheers ^^

Noel39;192850 said:
Hey all, anyone of you happen to know how much it cost to ship a car from australia to here (kl, malaysia)? and also, how would the car be taxed.

Cheers ^^

My dad had done this before. He shipped the car from Sydney to Port Klang. Let me ask him again. Will let you know as soon as possible.

Noel39;192850 said:
Hey all, anyone of you happen to know how much it cost to ship a car from australia to here (kl, malaysia)? and also, how would the car be taxed.

Cheers ^^
Noel39,

These are the steps.

1. Get the custom's declaration form from Australia Customs.

2. Approach the freight forwarder. Purchase the shipping insurance.

3. While in Malaysia, go to MITI in Putrajaya and fill the AP form, or you can approach MITI in Australia fore their help. Fill the particulars. They will let you know the current import duty. Back in 1998, my dad paid 140% import duty + 10% sales tax. Because he was attached the the consulate (or any government servant for that matter) he was entitled to 50% rebate from the import duty. The import duty will vary depending on the car's engine cubic capacity. My dad's car was a Mercedes C180. The 10% sales tax did not make any sense because the car was purchased in Australia but you still got to pay for it.

4. Prepare a bank draft to "Pengarah Kastam Negeri Selangor".

5. When the car arrives, you need to deal with the freight forwarder's agent in Malaysia first before you go the customs.

6. With all the documents from the freight forwarder, proceed to the customs in Port Klang (or the port designated by you). Settle the payment.

7. If possible, get the insurance for the car so that you can register the car the same day at Padang Jawa JPJ. Otherwise, you have to pay RM30 per day for the trade number plate, or pay the storage charges. The covered one slightly more expensive than uncovered one but less than RM100 per day.

8. Before you ship the car, make sure you loosen the alternator belt because the car was not acclimatised to Malaysian temperature. Otherwise, the bearings will break or alternator itself will become faulty. This happens to many imported recond cars. When the car is here, don't forget to tighten back the belt.

I hope you find these tips useful.

Cheers.

Top Bottom