Sharp Screeching Sound

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tongsatriani

Club Guest
Hi All,You all know the familiar sreeching sound when you accelerate? The harder & faster you step the louder & sharper it goes? This sound is common on old cars. Most in taxis. Is happening on ride now. Can enlighten? :unsure:

Your drive belts. Check aircond belt. Then water pump alternator belts. Must be some slack. Tighten a bit not too much. Its a bitch to do. Ask your mechanic to do this. Only takes 10 mins with the right tools and skills.

Originally posted by tongsatriani@Dec 9 2005, 08:02 PM
Hi All,

You all know the familiar sreeching sound when you accelerate? The harder & faster you step the louder & sharper it goes? This sound is common on old cars. Most in taxis. Is happening on ride now. Can enlighten? :unsure:
So tong,what fixe'd it?

just to relate my experience.i also have this belt screeching sound,intermittently during initital start up during cranking but it quietens at idle.also when engine hot,when the viscous fan engages,the belt screeches,and whenever the a/c is s/w on at idle.if i rev it and s/w a/c on,it's ok.but sometimes it screeches on/off.
so i was thinking it should be the a/c belt that's loose.NOT!last saturday,chk'd all belts and found the alternator belt was loose.tightened it up and voila no more noise.

looks like the electrical load on the alternator when the a/c is engaged made it slip and screech.same during initial start up,and also when the extra load of the viscous coupling fan when it engages. :p

Isn't the belting system for the alternator, water pump and powersteering is self tensioning??

the aircon compressor is running a separate belt and can be tightened if there's slack.

yup...i was just about to say tht its most likely the alternator belt.....

Top Bottom