Service Indicator

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BlueMixWhite

Club Guest
Hi all sifu,Finally I notice my service indicator is working properly. It wasnt changing before i reset it after the recent service. Yesterday I notice one bar off after clocking about 5000KM. Should I follow oil change according to the indicator or should I change after another 5000KM. Please advise. Thanks.

:dunno: For me its simple, correct me if I am wrong sifus.
Car manufacturers design the indicator and should be fine to follow what they mean, I service according the service indicator and thats about 10k km I don't understand many are scared to follow and change oil at lower KM, well fine good for the engine well to much money to spend its fine.

I have run my car close to 250k KM don't have any sign of rough engine and I normally follow car makers instruction.

If your indicator is faulty check it out. My lights also carput the first one at times and always I think its the connection but its ok.

rezzy, ikut atau tak ikut service book, i chANGE my engine oil every 5000km. anyway, tak mahal sgt pon. price minyak engine depends on what u use, oil filter only rm30+, upah baru rm10. so, ok apa........

As for me I change oil every 5000Km. Only use the service indicator as a reference.

Originally posted by eddiefiola@May 24 2005, 02:12 AM
rezzy, ikut atau tak ikut service book, i chANGE my engine oil every 5000km. anyway, tak mahal sgt pon. price minyak engine depends on what u use, oil filter only rm30+, upah baru rm10. so, ok apa........
Agreed with eddie.. never bothered to look into this service indicator thingy

Originally posted by rezzy3181@May 24 2005, 01:54 AM
:dunno: For me its simple, correct me if I am wrong sifus.
Car manufacturers design the indicator and should be fine to follow what they mean, I service according the service indicator and thats about 10k km I don't understand many are scared to follow and change oil at lower KM, well fine good for the engine well to much money to spend its fine.

I have run my car close to 250k KM don't have any sign of rough engine and I normally follow car makers instruction.

If your indicator is faulty check it out. My lights also carput the first one at times and always I think its the connection but its ok.
Rezzy,

My concern is that, the indicator only change after 5000KM. Shouldnt it had change soon than that. Anyway I will follow what the mech has indicated.....10,000KM after the service.

One green bar is around 2000km (depends on driving conditions and number of engine starts up). Total 5 numbers of green bars e.g. 2000x5=10000km and sometimes 2500x5=12500km. Again depending on driving conditions the 5 green bars can be ranging from 9000km to 12500km.
Oil changes up to you when you want it, as long as you don;t exceed the indicator bar when it reaches red. If you still have the owners service manual it states "recommmended intermediate oil change between 7500miles (12000km)" and NOT MANDATORY! To play safe stick to 10000km oil changes regardless of how you drive.

ersalle,

Thanks for the info.....probably my indicator is a bit slow, hehehe. One bar represent 5000KM. (5000 x 5) = 25,000KM hahaha...will smell later. Anyway I think the second bar will go off faster than the first due to oil thickening.

depends on how u sayang ur car n how much money u have. just like ur wife. if syg sgt, give present every mth. otherwise, takyah bagi lansong.....

me, i sayang my car...so change every 5000km. some ppl might call me wasting money and stupid but i don't care.... love is blind....
my wife....errrr.......

My experience wif both of my 5ers...

First indicator goes off at 4500km.
Second at 7000km.
Third at 9000km.
Fourth at 10500km.
Fifth at 12000km.

Once u r into the orange light,manual states that the car should
not be driven more than 50km.Once in red,u should stop the car.

I service my E28 every 5000km coz its running wif normal 20W-50W
oil.My E34 runs wif full-synthetic,so 8000-10000km will do.

Couple of yrs back, I burned my E28 engine coz I was following those indicators :beaten:

Regards B)

Originally posted by eddiefiola@May 24 2005, 12:11 PM
depends on how u sayang ur car n how much money u have. just like ur wife. if syg sgt, give present every mth. otherwise, takyah bagi lansong.....

me, i sayang my car...so change every 5000km. some ppl might call me wasting money and stupid but i don't care.... love is blind....
my wife....errrr.......
Doc. agree with you don't to manja your wife nanti dia control you (your car) I had 3 wives bro. all asking for presents good2 want. wait till d day come. You got PM from me.

Just discovery something new today, on the top of the my service indicator bar....suddenly a small clock appears at the center of it.
I can see on the left side of the clock (not lighted) oil service and right side (not lighted) inspection. So only the clock is lighted, anyone know what that means?

Mine's more like wolverine's. More than 10k km for all 5 bars of green indicator(about 3000 km per bar) instead of 2500 km per bar. :)

BlueMixWhite said:
Just discovery something new today, on the top of the my service indicator bar....suddenly a small clock appears at the center of it.
I can see on the left side of the clock (not lighted) oil service and right side (not lighted) inspection. So only the clock is lighted, anyone know what that means?

Service is due, not because of mileage but due to time (exceeded 12 months).

Top Bottom