Rusty E46...to buy or not to buy?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anakin

Official Member
Dear friends...yesterday I was stumble upon 1 e46 for sale..its an original manual 318 uk spec. I was really interested to buy this car, beside all the clunking sound from the suspension, one thing scared me...RUST!! She got rust at front & rear wheel arch, rear bonnet and underneath the body. Not sure how bad the rust is, but for sure it cannot be judges with a naked eyes...should I buy this car or not...really fell in love with the stick....any advise is very much appreciated.rgds,Anakin

99.99% of e46 don't have rust issue. I wud certainly stay away from d car that u described. U can always find one in a much better condition n convert to manual. There have been numerous successful e46 conversions n it's quite cheap

Abang, long time no see..how are you?still with the green?...from what I read, UK spec car prone to rust due to their weather...
The e46 year of made Nov 99 registered in 2010...you got a valid point here, it better to spend money to convert to manual rather than spending money treating the rust, right? Later have to repaint, so on so forth.....

In cooler climates, roads get icy during winter so salt is spread over the road to melt the ice (basically reducing the freezing point). Hence, cars from this kind of weather need to be cleaned thoroughly when brought back to tropical climate countries to avoid rust. Once rust has set in, it will be an ongoing issue, do not buy.

Mine's a '97 uk import.registered '05.NO rust.if yrs is rusty....stay away.like what others mentioned....e46 dont rust....

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

moots;854748 said:
Mine's a '97 uk import.registered '05.NO rust.if yrs is rusty....stay away.like what others mentioned....e46 dont rust....

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks moots...now decide to leave the E46, eyeing for E39..its a CBU 1997 528...any tips from you of what to look for?:driver:

anakin;854753 said:
Thanks moots...now decide to leave the E46, eyeing for E39..its a CBU 1997 528...any tips from you of what to look for?:driver:

Go straight for 530i.. no regret..

antiquer;854756 said:
Go straight for 530i.. no regret..
Hai bro, the roadtax will kill me..i can see a lot of nice e39 for sale out there, even in our community like Deng's M Sport 525 , Harbjan's 530 (just to name a few)...but all comes with a hefty price tag of which I cannot afford...I do appreciated their what have they done to their car hence the price, no doubt about that. But with my very limited budget,I don't dare to ask any of them.. I have to start somewhere slowly at my own paste..:slug::slug:
initialM;854762 said:
Dont buy the E46 or any BMWs. Just buy BBS as per your signature.
Bang, nak gak merasa pakai E39 macam abang dulu, better late than never right?...he..he..he..

Annakin While I was away my friend just sold his E39 528i 2000 local and Owner since new for a song I miss that also otherwise I could have recommended it to u.

Long time no see hope to catch up with u and Shahrul and Blue panther soon

never ever buy a modern car with rust issues. most post european 1991 made cars are galvanised from factory, if you find rust in these cars, most likely they are bad. galvanised cars do not rust, apart from UK cars, due to the reason mentioned above.

- - - Updated - - -

never ever buy a modern car with rust issues. most post european 1991 made cars are galvanised from factory, if you find rust in these cars, most likely they are bad. galvanised cars do not rust, apart from UK cars, due to the reason mentioned above.

Top Bottom