Rust

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anxious

Club Guest
When I bought my car almost 2 yrs ago it had been just resprayed by the dealer.It was a pretty decent job, in fact I just waxed it yesterday and the paint is still very good condition.Of course over the past 2 yrs I've had my share of dings and scratches but nothing major.However a few months ago I noticed some rust bubles forming in a 3 spots.2 on the lower rear bumper are which I am not really bothered about.One at the corner of the rear windscreen...this worries me.How do I fix it ....car doesnt need a spray job yet.Does the repairer need to remove the windscreen.Any good rust repair guys in Penag to recommend?Thanks.

There is no cure for rust, sorry................no matter how it is treated or whatever process is done, IT WILL RESURFACE. Do not fall prey to the 'experts' who offer solutions. There are none. Don't mean to burst your bubble but that's the reality of iron oxide. Again.........sorry.

The only viable long term option is to replace the affected part/panel with a rust-free one.

kevster is rite ...

but you can get temporary solution by removing the mirror and get the welder to treat it ...

good rust proofing and monitoring will take you a little longer ...

but it will still resurface ...

cheers :)

knew of a forummer who had rust at just below the front windscreen ...had the windscreen removed... cut out the rusted part... rewelded with a plate ..... applied a few layers of anti rust ...repainted ....finishing was good and given a three years warranty on the job :yahoo:

anxious,

how to cure rust ?? i oso dunno lar.. my car so rusty 1..but this is what i did on my ride when the rust bubble appear:

-grind the rust spot till u shiny metal appear.
-treat it with anti rust
-putty and shape it back
-touchup paint

easy & cheap job but time consuming. also need some skill to reshape back the surface to ori shape. if ur not diy kaki u can send to some kedai ketuk mudgad to do it for u for few hundred.

if the rust is too bad ie u can see hole etc.. u need to cut away the rusted area and weld a new metal patch to it. and repeat the process above.

anxious...kevster and skinhead are right!even mtek1318!
there is basically nothing u can do to rid ur udm off rust except the above mentioned solutions!i hav 2 lil rust bubbles on the rear right side of my roof just 3" off my sunroof and its a bitch but the only solution is to get a 1/2 cut roof or treat it temporarily with sanding to bare metal and hope for the best!but there is alwiz a way if there is will!so fret not...i too will try to find the best solution and update u!
-brad-

Thanks guys.

Well a friend of mine took me to his father's trusted paint shop.

The guy said that the rust was in early stage and scrapped it off, applied putty and touch up paint.

He told me to come back when I could leave the car there for a week or so as he needed time to go over the car and fix it.

Well the problem is its my daily ride and I ve got to make some arrangement with the missus to tumpang her.

Anyway thanks a million guys. I hope this thread can be used as reference for anyone who has similar problem.

Originally posted by anxious@Feb 22 2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys.

The guy said that the rust was in early stage and scrapped it off, applied putty and touch up paint.

He told me to come back when I could leave the car there for a week or so as he needed time to go over the car and fix it.

Well the problem is its my daily ride and I ve got to make some arrangement with the missus to tumpang her.

Anyway thanks a million guys. I hope this thread can be used as reference for anyone who has similar problem.
by all means dude...do recommend ppl to refer to this thread!
take care and enjoy ur ride

Originally posted by anxious@Feb 22 2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys.

how u differentiate whether the rust is in early or later stage????

i knocked my E36 side skirt (ori) few months back, paint has came off, and a bit rusty also..... what should i do???

anxious,

can you also PM me the paint shop details. I'm really in urgent need of rust treatment. OK guys give me your best shot, I have rust around my sunroof, waht is the best way to fix it... do I have to find a new roof from kedai potong..... and about the side skirt ori one my one also same as willie, should I just replace with a new one or can this be treated as well.... help is much appreciated.... Cheers All!

Looks like rust is a common sickness for E30s including mine which is the shop right now and discovered that rust has already settled on the front passenger side floor board, will have to cut out the rust spot and reweld back a metal plate ....wat abt the other models eg E34,E36, etc.

Top Bottom