Replacing headlight lenses

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wglee

Club Guest
One of the headlight lenses on my E46 is hazy, and restoration work by professionals didn't improve it. I'm thinking of replacing the lens. However, I'm concerned about the following:- (a) The job entails removing the headlight assembly from the car. The car is more than 5 years old. Would there be any risk of aged/brittle plastic parts on the headlight assembly getting broken thus rendering the headlight assembly (and the new lens) useless? (b) Any risk of water condensation and/or leakage? Views/opinions and the sharing of experience in respect of the above would be appreciated.

bro, r u talking about replacing the plastic cover only? if so, its very easy and simple, it only cost about 120-150 for a pair. crystal clear after changing it. i believe any BMW mechanic can do it for u. they will not take out your whole headlamp, no worries, unless u r talking about changing for whole headlamp that cost about 600-700

Yeah, I just want to change the plastic lens.

No need to remove the entire headlamp assembly? That sounds good. Which workshop should I head to?

By the way a couple of reputable spare part shops quoted me RM100 to RM150.00 each, not a pair. A reputable BMW workshop and AB quoted me RM210-RM220.00 each.

RM100-RM150 per PAIR sounds good. Where to get? Thanks.

Ya Mouse...where to get ah...one of mine got a small crack due to stone chips...facelift wor..

U can try at Eurocarmotorsport... Calvin Tan. He has the plastic cover. Infact u can by and DIY at home. Very simple procedure :)

hehehe, sorry, just call ah meng M-speed USJ to comfirm, its 130 per cover, therefore 1 pair = RM 260, sorry for the wrong info. but dunno got charge workmanship or not, if u guys need his contact pls pm me

Mine is cracked right in front of the dipped light beam on each side. Heat apparently. I cant believe how BMW is so wimpy with regards to tropical heat.

3er said:
Mine is cracked right in front of the dipped light beam on each side. Heat apparently. I cant believe how BMW is so wimpy with regards to tropical heat.

A common problem, I am told. Mine has fine hairline spidery lines.:(

drarizal said:
U can try at Eurocarmotorsport... Calvin Tan. He has the plastic cover. Infact u can by and DIY at home. Very simple procedure :)

AB and another reputable independent BMW workshop said the lens replacement job entails careful removal of the headlamp assembly... Sounds delicate.

And I don't dare to DIY for fear of breaking something!

Top Bottom