Replacement of plastic radiator reserve tank

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

strangeboy

Club Guest
I heard so many times from the mechanics that for E46, one must change the plastic radiator reserve tank after certain mileage. The reason is that the tank will crack after a certain period of time. Is this myth true? Or izzit a way for them to make extra moola??? Please advise.

u only change the expansion tank if there's a defect, the thing is, it normally crack at the bottom internally which u cant see from the external...just chk it when u're replacin the radiator..

Well. from experience, that bloody plastic expansion tank on my ex-E36 cracked while driving home once. Luckily the crack was not too bad. Got it replaced the following day. Might not be too lucky if I was outstation at that time.

IMO, high pressure and high temperature are not a good mix for plastic. Given a few years, the plastic might give way.... but when to change as a preventive measure.... I don't know. :dunno:

On my SLOTH, I serviced the cooling system and changed the radiator cum expansion tank as a precautionary measure.... M5x series engines do not take too kindly to overheating. Been there and experienced it too.... ouch. :beaten:

Yea its true... The plastic reserve tank is known to crack leaving E46 drivers stranded on the side of the road. So far I have only heard of owners of 6 potter E46 suffering this cracking problem. Anyone with the 318i experienced this before?

I was told it was due to heat stress in the engine bay, which the 6 potters suffer in higher extremeties from.

So after how long / how many miles (or kms) is the recommended precautionary replacement for the inline 6?

Most people hit the cracking problem after 60k kms from what I know... Anyone wanna list their approx mileage when their tank went bust?

I was told by my mechanics that the E46 318 operating temp is @ 105 C while 325 is @ 97C. Imagine the effects on plastic parts at that kind of temp. This is common nowadays on Euro cars as they provide cleaner burning & better performace but at the expense of reliability. Worse in M'sia hot weather....

Hey..
Whatsup bros..
I've nearly got my 4 potter crack up. Luckily traced da problems.. It was a CRACK!! u heard me.. a CRACK!! :getyourfactsright: rite on da plastic rad.. Pheww.. Nearly cost my future of being a husband.. Though.. :yes!:

How's 'bout diz pic below 2 u guyz???

Top Bottom