Repaint bonnet and restore leather seat

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

haywire

Official Member
I had some rust on the corner of my bonnet (E39), just above one of the headlights. Its not much, but I would like to correct it soon before it gets worse.Got quotation to remove rust and repaint the whole bonnet for £190 (excluding tax at 17.5%) here in Bristol, UK.And to restore the leather on the driver's seat to a new condition - £60 (excluding tax)so total would be £250 + £43.75 = £293.75Is this reasonable, or it it cheaper in Malaysia and should i just wait and get in done in Malaysia when I take the car back to Malaysia somewhere in October?I think from a psychological point of view, £300 in UK is cheaper than RM1500 in Malaysia although its actually roughly the same amount (RM1500 is alot of money)What do you guys think? Should I do it?

Just do it...and by the way, I think it's ridiculous for you to compare with Malaysia.....

Why do you think its ridiculous? The price here extortionate? Is in Malaysia so much cheaper?

Bro in Malaysia parts are expensive while labour is pretty cheap while in the UK it's the opposite parts are cheap while labour and services are expensive.

For leather you could use leatherique ... Their two step restoration process is very easy.

http://www.leatherique-asia.com/

As for painting and getting rid of the rust ... it's very much depending on quality of work and the paint system that they're using.

Thanks B33mEr

Anyone could give me a rough idea how much a job like this would cost then?

The leather restoration quoted would not just restore the colour, but also will remove all the creases and rips too. The seat would look like new. I think it would be better than any DIY jobs.

If you plan to send your car back to MY, shipping, then, my suggestion is to do everything here in MY. Imagine you've done the rust and when your car arrives in MY, you need to do another round, I understand cars from UK tend to rust due to salt.

Just FYI, to respray bonnet in MY, costs about Rm200-Rm300.
Seats, I dunno, haven't done them before.

@haywire

it depends wat u earn over here in malaysia. if ur salary here are 5 times more than at home, then it is wise to do it here.
else better for u to do it at britain :)

Okay..been asking around people around here (malaysians). Apparently the import tax is also based on the condition of the car, so I think I'll leave the rust in its place until I go back to Malaysia. I'll have a leverage to ask the custom to lower the import tax a bit becasue of the rust.

I'll do the leather seat here, though. Its not much and if done properly the seat will be in a new condition.

Top Bottom