rear seat belt stuck

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

crusher

Club Guest
One of my rear seat belts (right side) is stuck. Unable to pull it forward. Any idea how to fix or got to change the whole assembly?

crusher;710861 said:
One of my rear seat belts (right side) is stuck. Unable to pull it forward. Any idea how to fix or got to change the whole assembly?

It can be fixed. You need to remove the rear seat and unbolt the hinge at the end of the belt.

Let it reel back slowly and try to pull it back at the same time. Hopefully, it might unlock
one of the mechanism inside the seat belt.

btw, is your rear seat foldable type. Mine is foldable for my E36. The belt sometime get stuck when I
did not properly lock the seat.

Whoa...e36 rear seat foldable? must check it later.

Remove rear seat means the back part not the part that we sit on right? how to remove? Just pull it ?

crusher;710883 said:
Whoa...e36 rear seat foldable? must check it later.

Remove rear seat means the back part not the part that we sit on right? how to remove? Just pull it ?

Just yank it hard upward. You start from the one side the area just under the kneel (when you seating on the seat) and hold the cushion ans yank it upward. It will come out. the rear seat is hold in place by some hook and spring latch.

Borrow a picture to show you what I mean.

REMOVESEAT.jpg

Having attempted to remove both the lower & upper rear seats, its a breeze..just need to apply a lot of force pulling.

Just make sure you grip & pull where the latches are, this will make it easier to yank out.

However I've yet to solve the stuck belts problem =\

I'm reluctant to pull up the seats. The last time I did that, it proved near impossible to latch it back :)

crusher;711163 said:
I'm reluctant to pull up the seats. The last time I did that, it proved near impossible to latch it back :)

You the backrest or both the seat & backrest? Only the backrests latches are abit different if memory serves me well.. but it should still not be an issue when putting it back together.

I'm already on the verge of parting with 200ringgit to get a new set, however 200 seems steep.

You can refer to my other thread for additional info, http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?45749-Stuck-rear-seat-belts

RM50 versus Rm200..wow. I also don't have the time to go junkyard hunting..

Chrix;711019 said:
Having attempted to remove both the lower & upper rear seats, its a breeze..just need to apply a lot of force pulling.

Just make sure you grip & pull where the latches are, this will make it easier to yank out.

However I've yet to solve the stuck belts problem =\

You need to understand how the seatbelt work in order to repair it.

Usually the problem is due to the ball bearing which acts as a pendulum which moved forward due to
decelaration (moment of inertia) and lock the belt. it get sticky sometime.

have a read on the seat belt mechanism below:-
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/seatbelt3.htm

Note: Do not mess around with the seat belt unless you know what you are doing.
You never know when you will need it!

crusher;711163 said:

There is a technique lar. Once you know it, it is easy.

My middle seat belt buried under the seat. Removed the seat , played with the belts a little. Somehow the belt started working again. Problem now is the seat will not go back intothe latch :(

crusher;711992 said:
My middle seat belt buried under the seat. Removed the seat , played with the belts a little. Somehow the belt started working again. Problem now is the seat will not go back intothe latch :(

The technique to put the seat back is to inserted the back of the seat in first. You may have to shove it in with a hard push.
check whether it is inserted in by looking at the mark. You can see the dirty mark as compare to the clean mark (hidden when not expose).

Once you got it inserted, just press the front and the latch will automatically latched.

btw, glad you managed to unlocked the seat belt.

Top Bottom