Rear Axle

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ernest

Club Guest
I owe a 1995 328i. My car has not fail me all these years. However, lately the rear axle whine around 60km. I hope this is not serious.Anyone out there with any solution as to how can I get this fix and any recomendation as to which mechanic shall I go to ? I live in Penang by the way.Thanks

I have an e34 525, and a have similar whiny axle. I have changed 3 rear diffs, and the whine is still there (around 80-90km/h). The last mechanic I consulted recommended that I change the rear bearings first.. According to him, its difficult to detect rear bearing probs when the car is jacked up. I am planning to change it this weekend, maybe you could check out the same too.

howdy chinlai...3 different diffs....you sure it's the diff?i find it hard to take.my e30,initially (when newly bought) has this rumble,which i swear came frm the diff.but in the end it's the rear subframe bushing that's worn,transmitting differential vibes to the chasis.

a friend of mine also had his diff replaced,not b'coz it's whining but coz there's a lot of play ie clunking at gear changes.he changed it with a used one and it's as good as new.

my diff also have covered 440,000kms and it still does not whine,though it clunks at gear changes.i donno.but I serioulsy doubt your whine is due to the differential.

moots, not very sure now. But have changed the rear frame sub bushings, etc.

Next test change the rear bearings..

In Ernest case, if the mechanic indentified the Rear Axle as the cause, can the Rear Axle be serviced, repaired or overhauled? (I don't think any Penang workshop can do it).

If, yes, what is the estimate cost and which workshop can do it.
I know there is an altenative, that is to change to a used Rear Axle. It will set us back between RM1K to RM2K. Let's share out the most economical option here.

Originally posted by winsonw@Aug 29 2005, 11:59 AM
In Ernest case, if the mechanic indentified the Rear Axle as the cause, can the Rear Axle be serviced, repaired or overhauled? (I don't think any Penang workshop can do it).

If, yes, what is the estimate cost and which workshop can do it.
I know there is an altenative, that is to change to a used Rear Axle. It will set us back between RM1K to RM2K. Let's share out the most economical option here.
Rear axle? I've taken mine apart and fitted it back.. if it's the bearings in the rear diff needs changing then it'll set u back

Top Bottom