rear axle differential???

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ariff habshi

Official Member
hi,i just bought my e36 318iS m42 in January. so far everything runs smoothly. however recently i heard creaking sound from the rear wheel driver's side. when i checked with a friend of mine (he was with AB... now with porsche)... he told me its my rear axle differential... had anyone experience my situation...? it sounds like "krik krik" from the rear wheels (like if u put a nut in a bottle & u shake it).. but when u apply the brakes the sound went off...

try changing the differential fluid.
If it won't work, try Redline Oil product.

Was the creaking sound happen only when you turn ?

even on straights...n sumtimes its so loud people starts looking....sigh...

planning to change the oil this weekend.. but wat type of oil should i use?? is it 2w-90w?

Hoist up the car, and let it run. Try to determine where the noise comes from. Not necessary could be the diff.

Cheers.

Sound like bearing/shims wear off, due to lack of oil probably.
Drain the differential, and look for evidence.

I can't remember the differential oil spec. Let me find out for you when I get home this afternoon from Service Manual.
It definately not 2w-90 , maybe a 75w-90, or 80w-90.

I would not recommend driving it until you know where the sound come from.
If is the differential, and no oil in it, is going to get worse.

ariff habshi;297321 said:
but when u apply the brakes the sound went off...

Check the rear handbrake cable assembly at the wheel. Something could be touching.

Hey ariff, berserkdroid maybe right!! Check also the wheel bolts. Sometimes if you use the wrong ones, this kind of sound may be heard.

will check on that! thanks guys.. but can anyone recommend me a good workshop for me to check?? i'm living in tmn tun d'sara.. i've been sending my car to panjang wiring in keramat so far.. but looking into other options

Hey Arif,

If your rear differential is indeed the problem, I might have a relatively new spare. Final drive ratio is 4.1.

Give me a call if you need one 012 237 3450

Top Bottom