Rattling /Squeking sound from the steering colum while decending to driving position

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shiva73

Club Guest
Gents...E60-Yr 2004New problem for the past one month .When I put in/remove the key and the steering wheel column goes up/down, I've noticed from time to time it is starting to make a noise.This only happens while HOT climate and not while raining/cold weather . Does any aspect of this movement need to be greased and if so where? Is this something to do with steering colum? BTW , i also noticed once , the steering didnt return upward - i adjust it manually up and down and then it work fine . It look like my wallet going to robek again . Appreciate your advice.TQVM

Gents...

Found a near solution for my problem on other forum . At least i will try to DIY when i am back home. The write up is quite similiar to my situation - mostly due to loss of greasy condition and part expansion while hot climate . Surely it doesnt make noise while cold weather ( morning /nite ) as the parts will tend to shrink .

It was mentioned that the culprit is the single nut at the steering colum and need some grease work - might as well grease any other visible nuts too . Got to open up the panels below the steering - i have never DIY anything so far , but wana not - only worry is ' i dont know how to fix it back '' .
I think we have this on most bimmers as they share common design on steering colums. Read on , and may solve your problem in future.,

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245961

cheers

Hi bro i think i have come across the problem ,it's lose screw from the under collum bracket, but don't try to open because it's a bit complicating. take to your regular workshop. If your want to try open take picture and then open it good luck.

TQ bro .. i think i will bring it to workshop for the first time .

BTW , its a loose screw or screw that is jammed ( not greasy ) ? Logicaly , if its loose , it should generate any sound rite?

shiva73;670238 said:
TQ bro .. i think i will bring it to workshop for the first time .

BTW , its a loose screw or screw that is jammed ( not greasy ) ? Logicaly , if its loose , it should generate any sound rite?

Hi bro ,yes but check first all the best.

Top Bottom