Rattling rear parcel shelf / speaker board - E36.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Vanquish

Club Guest
Guys,Need some help with the above.The rear parcel shelf of my car is rattling especially when the music hits the low notes. Over the weekend, I tried playing a few track while the car in stationary and picked the sound coming from the left side of the rear shelf. The rattle was very evident when there's a bass solo / string / cello / drum notes in the track. These were the tracks I used as reference -1. Fourplay - Bali Run2. Michelle Branch - The Game of Love3. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk / 4. Diana Krall - Let's Fall In Love5. The Eagles - Hotel California6. Buena Vista Social Club - Live from Havana III don't think there is an issue with the sub box - it's a well sealed 1.25 cft with bitumen damping and polyfill stuffing so this must caused by the rear parcel shelf. It is still stock with the rear stock speakers/pod removed to create an opening for the bass notes to filter into the cabin. I have been planning to reinforce it but not sure if this can be done. Is the rear board replacable ?Appreciate your help / feedback.VaN.

Pus,

The whole thing, aah ? The stock look purple board is getting to me but can the whole thing be changed ? Any idea where I can get this done ? Thanks mate.

Originally posted by Vanquish@Feb 28 2005, 04:14 PM
Pus,

The whole thing, aah ? The stock look purple board is getting to me but can the whole thing be changed ? Any idea where I can get this done ? Thanks mate.
van...puss aka felix is in Asetar...will ask him once i see him....

Originally posted by Vanquish@Feb 28 2005, 03:14 AM
Pus,

Van,

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and the noise was really getting to me every time when hitting the low freq. Removed the rear parcel shelf and found the problem - it was the damping material on the left and right sides. Originally the damping material, it's something like a bitumen sheet, was stuck to the underside of the shelf. With age it hardened and eventually dropped off. It was then lying on top of the foam/sponge below the shelf. Everytime the low notes strike, the hardened damping material vibrates and transmits this to the shelf. Problem was solved by throwing out the hardened damping material. Hope that helps.

Rgds

Thanks Blade.

Our resident ICE Meister Affan suggested the same thing. I guess I need to look at the above and reinforcing the shelf as well. Thinking of putting in a 10 inch IDMax sub in a 0.85 cft sealed enclosure. These babies can really rattle and shake the panels. The current sub is taking up too much space.

Cheers,

Hi Vanq, do keep us updated of your progress. Mine current set-up does not vibrate the rear parcel shelf yet but my coming ICE upgrade definitely will.

** itching a bit at the moment **

flash, need help?
my consulting fee very cheap cheap one you knowww..

Originally posted by affan66@Mar 10 2005, 09:44 AM
flash, need help?
my consulting fee very cheap cheap one you knowww..
Why pay when I can get FOC???? It is just that I need to find one installer who really knows BMW and not screw the car up. My current installer is ok with BMWs but it would do no harm to shop for others.

go ahead.. but if you got screwed up, don't come to me. *merajuk already* I'll give you the "I TOLD YOU SO" look when you complain this is not right that is not right later. Hahahahahaha (evil laugh)

Originally posted by Vanquish@Mar 10 2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks Blade.

Our resident ICE Meister Affan suggested the same thing. I guess I need to look at the above and reinforcing the shelf as well. Thinking of putting in a 10 inch IDMax sub in a 0.85 cft sealed enclosure. These babies can really rattle and shake the panels. The current sub is taking up too much space.

Cheers,
van...sumthing like this?
z-110sc_dropshadow.jpg

or this
z-110d.jpg

or this
2063tc10-o_wide-ca.jpg

Haven't decided yet. Nothing fancy - just a well put up sealed enclosure with some polyfill stuffing / bitumen strip. To me, a sub box has to do its job well more than looking fancy. The IDMax is a unit from the US ... I can get it for less than RM 600.00 shipped to SIN. But must find the right amp to power it - it can handle upto 1000W RMS but in most cases, 500W is more than enough.

Priority now is on the front comps. Still working with my installer on a suitable solution to fit 6 inch drive units to the door without busting my wallet. One thing at a time ...

Affan, your consultation / feedback services required here !!!

VaN.

van,

did you check the other thread on the E34 door panels? That is what I have in mind except for how the speaker is mounted. It needs to be rigid.

Originally posted by Vanquish@Mar 11 2005, 01:51 PM
Haven't decided yet. Nothing fancy - just a well put up sealed enclosure with some polyfill stuffing / bitumen strip. To me, a sub box has to do its job well more than looking fancy. The IDMax is a unit from the US ... I can get it for less than RM 600.00 shipped to SIN. But must find the right amp to power it - it can handle upto 1000W RMS but in most cases, 500W is more than enough.
VaN,

Might want to consider 12" instead of 10". Similar sonic signature but setups running 12" IDmax that i've heard tend to sound better. Many other factors affecting the latter but enclosure design/build definitely key. I recently removed a 12w3v1 from a 1.25cuft box over to a 1.1cuft sealed box; 1" mdf, braced and lined with dynamat. Plays decent for an old design (to match my other old stuff). Blended quite well with existing setup - some further tuning required. Still, good enough (for the time being) to leave an IDMax 12" at home. Currently don't have the juice to power that sub...

enjoy.

Top Bottom