Rain Sensor Cover

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

k3nny

Club Guest
Inside the E60, if you look behind the rear view mirror, the one that is affixed to our windscreen, behind it is the parts for the rain sensor the light sensor. If you look at the casing that covers it carefully, you will notice its 2 pieces with 1 line separating left and right coming downwards vertically. Meaning there are 2 separate pieces that close to become one. Left and right. Somehow in the past, i hit a big big pothole and they both subsequently fell out exposing the electronics and sensors that make the rain/light sensor work. So to put them back, i just refastened the whole thing (Not the first time they dropped out) and i pushed the 2 pieces towards the glass quite hard.I did it a few times and maybe the 3rd or 4th time i did it, the whole glass cracked. A big spiderweb in 6 different directions emerged right from ground zero where i was applying pressure. What i wanted to know was is there a defect with my car? Is the windscreen supposed to crack so easily? Or maybe that point is weak because its thinner to compensate for the rain/light sensor etc? Sapura needless to say replaced the windscreen at no cost but it was still shocking. I went back after getting the car, gave it a few shoves, still no problem this time. I went to the showroom subsequently and gave a few cars a shove up there too and also no problem. Only that isolated incident with mine. I just wonder if there is a logical explanation? Just for knowledge sake, the car was approx 1.5 years old at that time, still accident free, that windscreen was the 2nd windscreen, also done at Sapura and she had approx 60,000kms mileage. :)

Use a sharp object or object with sharp edge, need not be huge or big, by applying a little pressure, at the correct angle, any windscreen will crack.

Top Bottom