Radiator question

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rainman55

Club Guest
Just done with my 3rd replacement radiator. Another case somebody FORGOT (!!!) this baby needs the radiator check regularly! :stoned:Just a check. How many days does your coolant last? I noticed on this last radiator that the car was used for about 7 days before it overheated. Though this [now dead] radiator is a new one and the engine block has been removed and cleaned. (I assume the gasket issue resolved)Or should refill using purely coolant (got mine from Esso) instead of mix of water and coolant?Planning to drive from Ipoh to Singapore so I don't want to have to tow the car half way through.CheersRM

U should use Genuine BMW Blue Coolant mixed with water 50:50.
According to Bentley manual you should replace coolant every 2 years (once a year also nvm since the coolant is cheap)
And it is recommanded to change the water hose every 4 years or if u seen any cracked or oiled.

Are your radiator fan and aux fan working properly? When did u replace ur water pump last time? Do your water hoses leak?

Decided to play safe and bought the coolant from my mechanic, though it's quite some distance away from home.

My radiator fan and aux fan are working properly. The water pump was replaced June 2008, along with the water hose replacement. I haven't seen any leaks for a while. The mechanic told me that the fan clutch failed this time. I have no idea how to check fan clutch so can only blame it on my a*** luck.

I am just curious why is it that the radiator still needs topping up every week, which is about every 300km.

integramania;442339 said:
Hi bro....curious what will replacing the cap do?

The radiator cap sealing properties does get compromised as the rubber hardens. Water can evapote through. Its worth to check and replaced as necessary.

Cheers

Oic....coz i also recently have this problem of needing to top up and my radiator cap has recently been replaced with an improved one (slightly higher bar).... So not sure why my water evaporates

Radiator

elixir;442295 said:
bro, have you changed the radiator cap?

Good question. I will check the radiator cap. Thought they would replace it since they replaced my radiator, and the cap looks new. Anyway, will check... Thanks for the tinker.

Integramania,
maybe not such a great idea to replace with higher bar radiator cap.. best keep to stock BMW cap. By up-rating your radiator cap (and thus raised operating pressure), you are also raising your ambient water temperature. How long the system will last could be a concern.

Yeah tat was what i was told when i described it to my usual mech (coz it was fitted by another mech)...but once he saw it he said ok....i think my previous cap was quite old..not sure...now its a newer looking matt plastic type....

5000km in 2 weeks

Have been busy between Ipoh and JB the last 2 weeks and clocked close to 5000km. (4 trips in total :burnout:) and surprisingly only needed to top up radiator twice (in 2 weeks) because it was less than half both times.

Anyway, checked the radiator cap, it's brand new alright. So the mystery of radiator runs low during normal drive remains a mystery.

Now that I am settled. A new set of problem just appeared the last 2 days.

My E34 felt jerky in the last couple of days, which I didn't have time to send in for checking. Today, I was driving when all of sudden I couldn't get acceleration when I step hard on the pedal. Next thing I know, car stalled! Restarting the engine will only see the idling go up and down then kaput... I then removed the connector to the MAF and car can go again. But the idling goes wild once in a while. The car's now at the mechanic's so probably won't know until he calls tomorrow.

Any idea what's wrong? The only out-of-normal is the long distance and max 160kmh speed. Feels good when I see the radiator temperature always at 1/4 point (in the night lah...) even after I drove few hundred km.

rainman55;448061 said:
Have been busy between Ipoh and JB the last 2 weeks and clocked close to 5000km. (4 trips in total :burnout:) and surprisingly only needed to top up radiator twice (in 2 weeks) because it was less than half both times.

Anyway, checked the radiator cap, it's brand new alright. So the mystery of radiator runs low during normal drive remains a mystery.

Now that I am settled. A new set of problem just appeared the last 2 days.

My E34 felt jerky in the last couple of days, which I didn't have time to send in for checking. Today, I was driving when all of sudden I couldn't get acceleration when I step hard on the pedal. Next thing I know, car stalled! Restarting the engine will only see the idling go up and down then kaput... I then removed the connector to the MAF and car can go again. But the idling goes wild once in a while. The car's now at the mechanic's so probably won't know until he calls tomorrow.

Any idea what's wrong? The only out-of-normal is the long distance and max 160kmh speed. Feels good when I see the radiator temperature always at 1/4 point (in the night lah...) even after I drove few hundred km.
Hi rainman...had your problems solved?
My radiator now need top up too after a week drive but no overheat yet..it 's my habit to check my radiator before drive...now the water level very low..what happen eh?

Top Bottom