Proton Waja 1.8 outrun BMW E46 320i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bazet

Club Guest
Team PSP Media, 17 July 2005 As the Asian Touring Car Championship moved to the Goldenport circuit in Beijing, China, Team PSP psyched itself up for a tough challenge. The small and tight track is renowned to have its own rhythm and tricks, making it extremely tough for new comers. Yet, Team PSP scored its first wins in the 2005 ATCC in front of the packed crowds of Beijing! Practice and qualifying sessions saw the team make numerous changes whilst the drivers continued to explore the circuit, making gradual progress as the lap times dropped. Steady drives by the three drivers rewarded the team with Fariqe sitting his car second on the grid for both races, Mashlino third on the grid for the two races and Syahrizal third In his class. Race 1 saw a definitive step forward for Team PSP when Fariqe and Mashlino commanded second and third positions from start to finish. Despite a light drizzle that plagued havoc to all the cars, the two drivers drove steady and strong races to bring their cars back both onto the podium. Syahrizal mimicked the steady drives of his team mates and finished second in Division 2 behind the larger engine capacity Honda Integra DC2 of Gary Sham. The excellent results of the first race brought great joy to the team, but the tension and stress was not relieved, but was rather intensified as the skies opened and drenched the track just prior to race 2. A combined team decision elected to start all three cars on slick tyres on the very damp track, despite being about the only cars on the grid who dared to make such a decision. As the race was declared a ¡®wet race¡¯, it brought great surprise to everyone! As the lights went green for race 2, it was a moment that will remain in Team PSP¡¯s memory forever. The three Team PSP cars made rocket starts and as the race entered lap 2, Fariqe and Mashlino stormed past the BMW of Franz Engstler. Fariqe and Mashlino continued ferocious drives which saw each other pass the other repeatedly. Syahrizal had his own agenda when he passed Gary Sham at the first turn, and then went on to make an unforgettable move on the BMW of Prutirat. Despite numerous attempts to pass him on the inside, a defensive Prutirat closed the door, and left Syahrizal no choice but to make an unbelievable pass around the outside! At the chequered flag it was Fariqe and then Mashlino, with Syahrizal leading Division 2 to the flag.
BJ-7.jpg

Bazet, the Waja is also 2.0 lah. The race goes to show how important is tyre choice and whenever it becomes wet, the race is wide open!

This is what actually happened. ;)

A sharp downpour just before the start of round 6 of the ATCC set the scene for a thrilling battle.

On a still wet but drying track the two Team Engstler BMW’s decided to run wet tyres whereas most of the field, except the Honda DC2 of Gary Sham, decided to gamble on a fast drying track and ventured out on slicks.

It was clear on the grid that this was going to be one of those races where the correct tyre decision would decide the outcome. It was a tough call but veteran Danny Stacy Chau in his Ao’s Racing Honda EK9 summed up the decision of the slick runners “There is no standing water, so maybe it is an advantage to have more rubber on the road.”

There was a lot of nervous tension, but Team Petronas commented “We have something up our sleeves.” That something was a hope that although the BMW’s would be fast starting and good in the early laps, the track would dry fast enough in the heat and humidity of Beijing for the slick tyres to come up to temperature quickly and give faster lap times towards the latter part of the race.

At the start the two BMW’s quickly went to the front, but with such a short run to the first corner, a hard charging Hairuman did not want to lose out to a fast starting Prutirat in the second BMW and they came together resulting in Prutirat spinning and thus allowing Buang to pass him in the second Proton. Prutirat rejoined with his now damaged car and would eventually fall further down the field with steering alignment problems. “Just before turn 1, Hairuman hit me and I spun, I was hit again by another Honda Civic and I had trouble controlling my car with all the drivers coming in and with bent steering” commented a desperately unhappy Prutirat.

Back at the front Engstler was not finding the grip advantage that he had expected from his wet tyres and Hairuman was all over the back of him. Engstler could not hold on and Hairuman dived past to take the lead, two laps later Buang repeated the move of his team leader to make it a dream one –two for the Petronas drivers. For the first time this season there would not be a BMW on the top step of the podium.

anyone have the july schedule fot wtcc at astro ?

Proton will use this result for thier renault powered Savvy ( f1 proven, ATCC proven, BTCC proven )

I recorded the Sepang F1 ATCC race....the gap is hugeeeeeeee...there's no way waja can cucuk the E46...well that is a different story in beijing

Originally posted by BMW2002@Jul 21 2005, 09:34 PM

and i think OSFs right, they're 2000cc cars.

Petronas E01 2.0 ltr engines or Mitsu Evo powerplant ala Karamjit's Rally "Proton"...

You are right Bazet, if you look at the times, the BMW is one second faster PER LAP than the Proton Impian BTCC at Sepang NORTH TRACK only.

There is no way the Super Production Honda's can outrun any Super2000 or BTCC prepped cars in dry condition and all on slicks. So rain is always the great equalizer in a race.

I actually went to see a BTCC race before... Farique is quite a Driver.... Sad he is an Alfa person.... drives a 147GTA here you know..... but a BMW beaten by a Waja driven by an Alfa enthusiast.... so sad..... :hmmph:

here's a shot of the engine..... carbon fibre :nyehehe:

Originally posted by E46Fanatic@Jul 22 2005, 03:28 PM
wah.. nothing proton looking in the engine bay besides the proton sticker hehe
You are right... :p

:D i hope the WTCC grows ever bigger with more entrants and support from major manufacturers..and gets the same if not more attention compared to other motorsports like F1 and WRC..
such good fun to watch..better than F1 IMHO

:) the real test will be when they enter the WTCC proper..then we'll see what they're made of..

Top Bottom