Power Steering Pump problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

cyclone9

Club Guest
Hi everyone,Recently i went to my workshop to check on my power steering and found out the oil is dark grey in color. The mechanic says it is usually red color and points to the power steering pump as the faulty part. Since this is not an oil leak, he says it is not servicable and the grey color of the oil is probably due to some grinding of metal parts in the pump. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Anyone know how much is a new and a used pump? Thanks.cyclone9

well the darness of oil there is due to , you've yet to flush ya power sterring fluid ... since you've mentioned that there is no leak , it would be better to flush the oil first ...the cheapest solution ... :)

cyclone9;575300 said:
Hi everyone,

Recently i went to my workshop to check on my power steering and found out the oil is dark grey in color. The mechanic says it is usually red color and points to the power steering pump as the faulty part. Since this is not an oil leak, he says it is not servicable and the grey color of the oil is probably due to some grinding of metal parts in the pump. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Anyone know how much is a new and a used pump? Thanks.

cyclone9

It could be grey because the oil has not been replaced before?!

I would get the oil replaced before pursuing the next course of action. A new pump (for M52) is around RM800.

Cheers

While you're at it change the power steering fluid reservoir as well. It has an in-built filter that is not replaceable and it's also a cheap item.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I remember few months back when i went to the workshop, i did complain about steering problem before. At that time the oil was quite dark so they sucked it out and replaced a few times until the colour was red to their satisfaction. After that the steering was quite ok so i didnt bother about the color until now. Should i do a flush since the previous time wasnt considered a flush? Btw, my engine is m43. Thanks.

cyclone9

cyclone9;575411 said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I remember few months back when i went to the workshop, i did complain about steering problem before. At that time the oil was quite dark so they sucked it out and replaced a few times until the colour was red to their satisfaction. After that the steering was quite ok so i didnt bother about the color until now. Should i do a flush since the previous time wasnt considered a flush? Btw, my engine is m43. Thanks.

cyclone9

Do a actual complete flush and replace the power steering fluid reservior. If and when your power steering pump is defective, one of our club guests "bimmer73" has the knowledge to repair it.

Had my rack overhauled early this year...replaced the repair kit n no leak now..problem solved..

Top Bottom