painting or powdercoating rims?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

afazlee

Club Guest
i'm thinking of getting a set of rims which come in black barrel. i just need to get some input on painting or powdercoating them hyper silver or chrome. is it advisable to do so? can someone who has done it share their experience pls (whether the paint peels off so soon) and where to get it properly done? thanking in advance for any response.

Think there is a guy from seremban or melaka that provides powder coating work. Found it via google 1 or 2 years ago. try looking it up. But cost of powder coating way more expensive than painting. Advantages well its way different. rims are in direct contact with everything you find on the road so they get scratch and cuts. with paint it gets damage more faster. Original rim manufacture uses powdercoating method that bonds the colour with the metal. hence you will notice why original rims dont loose their colour that easy.

Boss, try this place:

Lee Kon Sang 012-2275131
No. 111, Jalan KIP 9,
Taman Perindustrian KIP
52200 KL.
03-62757162

IMHO, powder coat is the way to go :)

Afazlee - price wise pretty big difference. You can get 1 rim painted for around $50 but I heard a quote as high as $250 per piece for powder coating. Not sure if it's really true.. so take with a pinch of salt.

You can ask Shedden from ExoticMods as well for PC. I've seen him do 1 with satin spoke and gloss lip... marvellous.

You get wat you pay for. I've painted my rims before. My only advice is not to rush the painter. Try to get spare rims for a week or so... and let the painter to do his work properly. Let him gosok, preps, bake and put in the sun etc like how you would let him paint your car. Don't leave it at 9am and ask him u want it at 6pm.

The place that I shared would charge you less than RM100 per rim if we go for powdercoat. I think it's a reasonable price :)

aoch... it is VERY reasonable. I never came across this price this affordable so far... thanks for sharing!

wuzzles;726695 said:
aoch... it is VERY reasonable. I never came across this price this affordable so far... thanks for sharing!

No problem boss and glad to help :) I do agree that some shops are charging a rip off price, haha

aoch88;725957 said:
Boss, try this place:

Lee Kon Sang 012-2275131
No. 111, Jalan KIP 9,
Taman Perindustrian KIP
52200 KL.
03-62757162

IMHO, powder coat is the way to go :)

Address seems familiar...is that Wheel Recon?

haywire;727427 said:
Address seems familiar...is that Wheel Recon?

This shop gives good workmanship. Thought of recondition and spray my rims
Price charge is reasonable ?

etquah;753246 said:
This shop gives good worknmanship. Thought of recondition and spray my rims
Price charge is reasonable ?

Price is VERY reasonable...I was quoted RM80 to refurbish my 18" M-Pars each excluding repairing any dent.

But its not so convenient..they are purely a factory, dont have the facility to remove your tyres. So have to bring the rims only to them, fixing and balancing had to be done at your regular tyre shop.

Same here. Sent my 18" rims to them. Paid rm80 per wheel to respray the wheel and was also quoted rm50 per wheel to repair dents. Was very satisfied with the end result and my rims looked as good as new!

paint shop that repaired my front bumper recently quoted 250 for all four. repaint plus redo kerb rash.

Top Bottom