Opinion needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bangibimmer

Club Guest
Hi, for quite sometime my steering wheel is rattling after hitting bumps or potholes. Went to my mechanics and told me all the bushings are still ok. recommended me to change the front suspensions (bilstein) at RM560 a piece. excluding labour. would this solve my problem? what about the pricing?One more thing, i've notice that the suspensions gave sounds like pressured air being released out whenever it when over bumps or potholes. Is it signs of malfunction? Is NGK Iridium spark plugs suitable for the car?Thanks

Originally posted by bangibimmer@Nov 17 2005, 11:49 PM
Hi, for quite sometime my steering wheel is rattling after hitting bumps or potholes. Went to my mechanics and told me all the bushings are still ok. recommended me to change the front suspensions (bilstein) at RM560 a piece. excluding labour. would this solve my problem? what about the pricing?

One more thing, i've notice that the suspensions gave sounds like pressured air being released out whenever it when over bumps or potholes. Is it signs of malfunction?

Is NGK Iridium spark plugs suitable for the car?

Thanks
u mean the pssshhh pssshhh sound whn u drive over speed humps etc???
thts normal wht isnt it?

as for ngk iridium plugs.....same diff as other plugs!!!(trust me on tht one)

if u can,join us for friday tt @ showru in kelana jaya and get more feedback frm the sifus!

rgds,
-brad-

Originally posted by bangibimmer@Nov 17 2005, 11:49 PM
Hi, for quite sometime my steering wheel is rattling after hitting bumps or potholes. Went to my mechanics and told me all the bushings are still ok. recommended me to change the front suspensions (bilstein) at RM560 a piece. excluding labour. would this solve my problem? what about the pricing?

One more thing, i've notice that the suspensions gave sounds like pressured air being released out whenever it when over bumps or potholes. Is it signs of malfunction?

Is NGK Iridium spark plugs suitable for the car?

Thanks
Check out the ball-joints before you decide to change you absorbers. Based on your brief explanation, that's what it sounds like to me. Also look at the absorber mountings. The price quoted to you is rather high. Try calling a few parts shops and you will get an idea of what they should cost.

You can use the NGK iridiums. The engine will feel smoother and that's it. They will not last as long as the normal BOSCH ones as bimmer engines run at a higher temperature compared to the jap ones.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the invy tyke, but got a full hand tonight. friends still coming over for raya makan.

Kev, Correct me if i'm wrong, changing the balljoint is the dreadest work isn't it. to pull it out and putting it back in place is a hell of a job. One mechanic not too long ago told me i have to change the whole set. It seems its already in its place. Don't know whether true or not. By the way i don't really know how they look like :yes:

Any estimate on the balljoint price and labour?

do i have to change the absorber mounting as well, or everything , the absorber, mounting and balljoint :cry: I'll do it if i have to. What costs am i looking at?

Thanks

Halim

If you are driving an e39, chances are you have to change the suspension components as well, meaning to say for older cars like e34 the owner would have the option to change the ball joints/bush (pump it out with a hydraulic jack). The e39 uses aluminium suspension components and hence you have to change the whole component.

Rgds

The cost varies from workshop to workshop....for the price of the components, check with Bavarian Auto. Then when you go to the workshop of your preference, ask him to quote you and you will roughly know how much he has marked up, not forgetting they probably get the parts cheaper than you :)

Originally posted by ALBundy@Nov 18 2005, 01:35 AM
...meaning to say for older cars like e34 the owner would have the option to change the ball joints/bush (pump it out with a hydraulic jack). ...

Rgds
Bundy
I'm having similar probs with my e34. The steering wheel doesn't rattle or anything but there's this plank noise infront when I go over shallow holes. Also this drumming sound above 120kmh on the highways. Have recently changed the upper arms (the 'crooked' ones?) at Ah Wai's and on-wheel balanced the front. Perhaps balance the rears too? Thanks @ regards. Faiz

An update. Changed right lower arm for rm265 + labour - the alumin. type (Lemforder) and the ride feels marginally better. Will redo alignment and balancing to see real difference. Cheers. Faiz

Top Bottom