Oil separator or Crackcase Valve issues

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

FIRZ67

Club Guest
Recently had the issue of high oil consumption on my N46 engine. It will need a top up of 1 liter for every 1000 kms travelled.it is unacceptable to me. :102:Read in E90post that the high oil consumption can be contributed from a blocked oil separator or CCV. Anyone here had an experience replacing the item. Just to ensure that I'm troubleshooting the right things, rather than trial an error. There is no white smoke from the exhaust even the mechanic say it could be a valve seal. Thanks

Sounds just like my problem. No white smoke, no oil stains on car porch, but sensor kept showing +1l. Topped up 2l over a period of about 1.5 months (gradual 250ml at a time, as afraid to overflow if just sensor problem). Had me wondering if it was sensor problem. Ended up being diagnosed as engine valve cover leakage. Done it up a week ago. Still monitoring to see if problem has been fixed properly. So far sensor is now ok, showing 0.5 to max depending on engine temperature. All the same, grabbed a Mobil 1 during Tesco sale recently :)

you will not see oil on your porch, any leaking oil will be collected by the plastic splash guard below your engine. Next time u service, after the mechs have taken off the plastic guard, check for leaks

Actually when my E46 leaked, it overflowed from the plastic guard to the floor. But for this one, even when plastic guard was removed, it was dry. So somehow oil might have leaked out and either evaporated or something. Not sure exactly what happened, just that oil level was dropping more than it should.

Try a better quality engine oil and change at 5000 if possible. Normally ultra thin oil will evaporate after 5000km Good luck Mobil 1 is good

alxy;763103 said:
Sounds just like my problem. No white smoke, no oil stains on car porch, but sensor kept showing +1l. Topped up 2l over a period of about 1.5 months (gradual 250ml at a time, as afraid to overflow if just sensor problem). Had me wondering if it was sensor problem. Ended up being diagnosed as engine valve cover leakage. Done it up a week ago. Still monitoring to see if problem has been fixed properly. So far sensor is now ok, showing 0.5 to max depending on engine temperature. All the same, grabbed a Mobil 1 during Tesco sale recently :)

Today,I went to fix my oil sump gasket. The workshop also found out that my vacuum pump also leaked. Now the car still in progress as it is a massive job. I would pay for the labour higher than the parts they replace. That will be the sequence. As suggested by kayzhen, I also heard from the mechanic, it could be the oil grade. I don't suspect the sensor since every time I did a top up, it able to measure and give reading, eventhough I did at 250 ml per top up. Next, if this problem didn't solve the oil consumption issues, it will be the valve seal.

anaksarawak;763208 said:
Try a better quality engine oil and change at 5000 if possible. Normally ultra thin oil will evaporate after 5000km Good luck Mobil 1 is good

I'm on BMW OEM oil 5w 40 on my last oil change.

Top Bottom