Oil Cooler Adaptor for M50 engine

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bp88

Club Guest
Hi Guys!May I know where can I get the oil cooler adaptor for M50B25 engine?Thinking of install oil cooler to my car. Anyone have done it on M50 engine before?Thanks in advance.

three options dude!
1)go buy the ori one from a reputable bmw accesories shop or mebbe ask calvin tan(he is like santa claus,everything also got)
2)go get an aftermarket one frm shops like n1 racing in sunway
3)best bet.....get it from a chop shop!

Sorry to hijack abit,

what difference does it make having an oil cooler adaptor for the engine? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Originally posted by Breakpopin@Nov 29 2005, 04:27 AM
Sorry to hijack abit,

what difference does it make having an oil cooler adaptor for the engine? Anyone care to enlighten me?
less temperature for the engine lah i guess!
but mostly aint it for the tranny?
just wondering....

sifus.....help!

but seriously,pm calvin tan for details and mrhartge for advice(technical)

I've seen M20 oil cooler adaptor before but I think it's different from M50 adaptor.
May I know which chopshop may have this item?
Normally which chopshop is famous to sort BMW stuff? Care to enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.

The function of oil cooler adaptor is to fit in oil cooler. It's to cool down the engine oil tempreture. The engine will run much cooler with oil cooler.

interesting....

so what will the engine do when it runs cooler?
how much cooler will the engine run?
will the engine run better when it is cool?

please enlighten us......

btw, do you know what is the temp of the engine?

Originally posted by teejay@Nov 30 2005, 12:26 AM
interesting....

actually I only apply the same concept that I apply on my Toyota 4AGE 20V engine.
I visit to SIC track frequently with my Toyota.
Before the oil cooler installation the engine oil tempreture went up to more than 150 degree after just 6 lap runs with 8K RPM most of the time. ( I got Omori oil temp geauge install in my car to monitor the oil temp)

After oil cooler installation (smaller oil cooler), the oil temp reduce to 130 degree with the same engine stress condition.

After that I change to much bigger oil cooler...surprisingly the oil temp reduce to only 95 degree under the same engine stress condition.

from here, you guys can see how much is the oil temp reduction with oil cooler. Actually oil cooler is one of the must have item in order to run in the track. With oil cooler, track car can run at high speed with constant oil temp.

Some of of know that if oil run at very high temp, the oil molecule will break and at that point the oil that run in our engine will not able to protect engine properly. That is why excess heat will kill our engine.
If we install oil cooler on normal street car, the engine will able to run much cooler.

I recently changed the radiator on my E34 and the new radiator came with extra inlets and outlets. According to my mechanic it's for the oil cooler. All I need to do is to route my oil through there and i have an oil cooler.

I'll post some pictures later.

Originally posted by bimmerman@Nov 30 2005, 08:45 AM
I recently changed the radiator on my E34 and the new radiator came with extra inlets and outlets. According to my mechanic it's for the oil cooler. All I need to do is to route my oil through there and i have an oil cooler.

I'll post some pictures later.
That's most probably for the ATF instead of engine oil.

As for oil cooler for the M50, there isn't one from the factory. The M20 one won't work for the M50. The oil filter for the M20 is beneath the exhaust manifold.

Do a search in bimmerforums and see if any modders there done anything similar. AFAIK, it's not a simple bolt-on mod. BMW Sucks.... :D

I had install Oil temperature gauge, so far i see the higher its goes abt 85C - 90 C, this is only when jam at traffic . During normal driving time abt 60 C.

By the way i m using motus oil for my engine.

Originally posted by E3six@Nov 30 2005, 04:30 AM
I had install Oil temperature gauge, so far i see the higher its goes abt 85C - 90 C, this is only when jam at traffic . During normal driving time abt 60 C.

By the way i m using motus oil for my engine.
Where do you guys get your oil temp gauges fix and how much does it cost.

TJ is rite - even the engine is running too cool, that wun be a good idea as well since the oil is designed for a range and the carburation is also designed with an operating temp in mind too.

If you track your car, then of course HEAT is an enemy.......road car is different again, so know what you want to achieve before $$$.

ATF cooling? Did not know they get so hot but then again, mine's a manual....

I have seen oil coolers for LSD! beat that!

Originally posted by teejay@Nov 29 2005, 11:26 AM
interesting....

Master Teejay..... you sound like you know the answers to these confounding riddles..... please do enlighten us.

Bp88,
I agreed with what you've said on your theory... Good Info !!

Originally posted by Jipster+Dec 5 2005, 03:53 PM-->QUOTE (Jipster @ Dec 5 2005, 03:53 PM)

jippy,

first me no master
second most replies sounds ridiculous......

i'll share some info, not much, but some

first, the engine temp will reach a certain optimum temperature, normally 80-90 C
then if it was designed to run at this optimum temp, why would anyone try to change its design?- reason cooler is better......or maybe .....yeah i got a cool engine!!

second, chemical breakdown of the molecules when changed of phase from a high viscosity/low viscosity etc,etc
lets say optimum temp is 90 C then when installing an oil cooler say it coolers down to 70 C, then it will then run back into the engine and up it goes back to 90, then back into cooler
yes, in a way, it cools down the engine block, say about 10 C, but it will always be heated up due to the engine design back up to 90

now lets say the thermostat opening temp is at 100, for track cars , it makes sense with the high revs, and abuse, but on a road car? yes it does sometimes, but how often will the oil get cooled down, plus there's one more part that will breakdown, when it does breakdown, there will be a loss in engine oil pressure, when you loose engine oil pressure, oil wont be pumped up to lube the valvetrain...guess what happens after that

back to the topic, cooling and heating up the engine oil will decrease its life expectancy
not running the oil at its operating temp, will not get it to its optimum viscosity.....

julian,
the LSD oil does thin down to a certain extent, due to high temp, this in turn will make it less viscose, in turn you don't want a thin oil inside the LSD clutches at sharp turn corners, your LSD clutch will lockup, sending your rear straight, while the front turns..........well you are the go-kart master, so i need not say more.......

This is from a website:

Why do we need an engine oil cooler?

The design of any car, with the exception of the many that are fitted with an oil cooler as standard, will ensure that just sufficient cooling by airflow across the sump takes place under normal conditions of use to keep the oil of a chosen viscosity at its design temperature. The changes most likely to cause an increase in oil temperature are:

a) Increase in rpm, the oil cooling requirement of an engine will increase up to threefold for an increase of 1000rpm, making this the most common cause of engine oil overheating. German specification cars are always designed with extra oil cooling because of possible high speed running on unrestricted autobahns. On the track the almost constant use of high rpm makes an oil cooler mandatory, even in an unmodified engine.

B) Obstruction of airflow to the sump, caused by fitting sump guards, spoilers etc.

c) Oil circulation through a turbo charger not only lubricates but also removes a large amount of heat which will add to the overall cooling requirement.

d) Increasing the power output of the engine will increase combustion temperatures but except in the cases where oil is used to cool the piston crowns (the Smart makes use of this!), most of the excess heat will be taken away by the water coolant system.

Is overheated oil a problem?

Oil as it gets hotter becomes thinner (less viscous), losing its film strength and this film strength supported by oil pressure is what keeps bearing surfaces from touching. Once bearing surfaces touch, metal is removed, clearances widen, oil pressure drops, the contact surfaces are further worn away and immediate engine failure takes place.

It is also worth considering that, in the modern engine, oil is used as a coolant of piston crowns. If the top
of the piston becomes too hot, detonation takes place causing loss of power or even piston/gasket failure!

Some oils are advertised as being able to cope with higher temperatures, this is easily achieved by supplying a more viscous oil that will have greater film strength for a given temperature, the down side is that at lower temperatures there will be higher friction/pumping losses.

The oils recommended for everyday motoring will have a viscosity sufficient to cope with the warmest extremes of expected motoring conditions, by fitting an oil cooler and oilstat a very low viscosity oil can be used giving increased power and decreased fuel consumption during relaxed motoring.

It will be appreciated from the foregoing that there is no optimum engine oil temperature, modern oils will not be damaged by high temperatures although some may leave varnish deposits which can block oilways. Every engine will have a different oil temperature requirement but, as a general rule temperatures in excess of 110C should be avoided.

so anyone know where can I get the oil cooler adaptor for M50 engine? :D

Top Bottom