Nitrogen VS normal pump

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chookleng

Club Guest
i was told that the nitrogen will hurt tyres in long run. it make sense to me that one of the Tyre technician asked me this...if nitrogen really so nice and truth to be used, why not all Tyre shop are not equipped with nitrogen air machine? well im in dilemma whether normal air pump vs nitrogen gas...WHICH ONE ARE BETTER? PLEASE advice and share your thoughts...what will be the fact like?

Not sure if it will harm tyres but for sure it provides more constant pressure across the temperature range, cooler and need not to refill often.

Why not all tyre shop have it? Not all tyre shop is willing to pay for one.

I was told racing cars, F1 and air planes use it. So I believe it does more good than harm.

Best way to find out, try it.

Just my humble opinion.

chookleng;562486 said:
i was told that the nitrogen will hurt tyres in long run. it make sense to me that one of the Tyre technician asked me this...if nitrogen really so nice and truth to be used, why not all Tyre shop are not equipped with nitrogen air machine? well im in dilemma whether normal air pump vs nitrogen gas...WHICH ONE ARE BETTER? PLEASE advice and share your thoughts...what will be the fact like?

If a workshop / petrol station was to offer you nitrogen, they would acquire it by either buying it from MOX, Linde, Air Products, etc. or produce it themselves. In either case, it'll be more expensive that compressed dried air.

elixir;562493 said:
Not sure if it will harm tyres but for sure it provides more constant pressure across the temperature range, cooler and need not to refill often.

I was told racing cars, F1 and air planes use it. So I believe it does more good than harm.

Just my humble opinion.

Yes, F1 & the airline industry use nitrogen in their tyres; for safety reason, simply because in the event of a blow-out, there'll be no oxygen to support a fire.

chookleng;562486 said:
... the Tyre technician asked me this...if nitrogen really so nice and truth to be used, why not all Tyre shop are not equipped with nitrogen air machine..

Hehe... if BMW is such a nice car, how come not every household has one? :D Well, in UK, really almost every household has a 3 series, just like our Proton (use to be). :wink: :D

The air we pump and breath consist of 78% of Nitrogen. Question is what is not good about the balance of the 22% air which is mostly Oxygen (21%) which we are being charged to get rid off?

Properties of Oxygen,

1. Easily expand when heat up, causing in consistent air pressure. Compromise ride comfort.

2. Easily heat up when loaded and cause rising tyre temperature, promote tyre wear.

3. Smaller in molecule so it escape thru the tyre walls and gaps easier leaving behind more than 78% of Nitrogen in your tyres after some time.. :p

Now how noticeable are all the above? That depends on whether u have a sensitive butt... certainly not me.. :p

mikekwan;562756 said:
Yes, F1 & the airline industry use nitrogen in their tyres; for safety reason, simply because in the event of a blow-out, there'll be no oxygen to support a fire.

Actually I think nitrogen is used in F1 as it does not expand as readily as oxygen when hot thereby maintaining a consistent tire pressure which is critical for handling in F1 cars.

Seriously doubt it would harm a tire but on the other hand i don't think you would notice the difference if you pump w nitrogen unless you're driving an F1 car...

another way to waste your hard earned cash but then again......it gives you bragging rights, so some may agree!

On our race tyres and its not F1 car......we fill with air. HA HA

elixir;562493 said:

Just my humble opinion.

hi dude, im using the nitrogen for 2years and so. have this question only when i brought the car for fill up the nitrogen coz i had not done it for the past 7months. there, the shop was not equipped with the machine and the guys there told me nitrogen is not advisable. that y im here to check out my concern if im in right track of using nitrogen air for the past two years. well i do not no the different in between despite of ridding on nitrogen for the past two years. you tell me the different!!

mikekwan;562755 said:
If a workshop / petrol station was to offer you nitrogen, they would acquire it by either buying it from MOX, Linde, Air Products, etc. or produce it themselves. In either case, it'll be more expensive that compressed dried air.

search me too! that y im here for answer. sigh....early stage i was told nitrogen help to reduces noises and fuel saving. but now they told me its bad for tyres n it make tyres worn out faster. which is fact and which is not?

astroboy;562759 said:
Hehe... if BMW is such a nice car, how come not every household has one? :D Well, in UK, really almost every household has a 3 series, just like our Proton (use to be). :wink: :D

The air we pump and breath consist of 78% of Nitrogen. Question is what is not good about the balance of the 22% air which is mostly Oxygen (21%) which we are being charged to get rid off?

Properties of Oxygen,

1. Easily expand when heat up, causing in consistent air pressure. Compromise ride comfort.

2. Easily heat up when loaded and cause rising tyre temperature, promote tyre wear.

3. Smaller in molecule so it escape thru the tyre walls and gaps easier leaving behind more than 78% of Nitrogen in your tyres after some time.. :p

Now how noticeable are all the above? That depends on whether u have a sensitive butt... certainly not me.. :p

LOL astroboy, u make sense. well im not technical guys and not good about car. all i know is that a car that can reach me to my destination without giving me problem are consider GOOD car...LOL and that im not willing to waste too much $$$ on modifying car. prefer original status upon purchase

there is also nitrogen content in compressed air, only its not pure...he he

Top Bottom