Newbie want to ask about e39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

greenejr979

Club Guest
Good day to all the Sifus....I am a newbie and am planning to get a E39 525i Double Vanos either a 2002 0r 2003 model.I am still shopping around for a good buy. I have few question which will be really helpful with your comments.I was advised by a fellow friend to get a UK spec CBU.1) What are the differences between a UK spec and also a Japan Spec?2) How do i determine a UK spec?3) What are the wear and tear i should be prepared of when i get one?4) How much would it $cost$ for the first time upon buying which i need to prepared?5) On the maintenance part, How much would a regular maintenance cost on average?6) What are the commons problems which i need to lookout for in choosing a good one?Hope you guys can help me out on these questions....

Answer to all those queries can be obtained with simple search in the E39 threads.
That's how I've learnt. Good Luck !

Welcome to the forum bro...do join our tt sessions as there'll be lots of e39 owners who can answer your questions. Look for our Committee Member, bro Haywire and he will tell you everything from a to z.

greenejr979;810855 said:
Good day to all the Sifus....

I am a newbie and am planning to get a E39 525i Double Vanos either a 2002 0r 2003 model.

I am still shopping around for a good buy. I have few question which will be really helpful with your comments.
I was advised by a fellow friend to get a UK spec CBU.

1) What are the differences between a UK spec and also a Japan Spec?
2) How do i determine a UK spec?
3) What are the wear and tear i should be prepared of when i get one?
4) How much would it $cost$ for the first time upon buying which i need to prepared?
5) On the maintenance part, How much would a regular maintenance cost on average?
6) What are the commons problems which i need to lookout for in choosing a good one?

Hope you guys can help me out on these questions....

Hello to you too greenejr979 :)

Welcome to the forum and have a good stay.

Did you manage to get all the info? As what my brother
have said please joint out tt , not only you can get a lot of info .
and a good relationship , laugh ....too. :)

Take care and cheers to you

Alny325i :5::5:

greenejr979;810855 said:

I am a newbie and am planning to get a E39 525i Double Vanos either a 2002 0r 2003 model.

I am still shopping around for a good buy. I have few question which will be really helpful with your comments.

4) How much would it $cost$ for the first time upon buying which i need to prepared?
5) On the maintenance part, How much would a regular maintenance cost on average?
6) What are the commons problems which i need to lookout for in choosing a good one?

Hi bro, on my phone right now so I'll type what I can...

There are pros and cons of each UK and Japan recon cars.

UK cars:

Generally high mileage
Good equipment level
Functioning Nav (if available)
Rust undercarriage
Should have reverse sensors (mostly)
How to differentiate: rectangle plate holder and VIN on front windscreen

Japan cars
Generally very low mileage
No rust issue
FM radio limited to 90.0mhz (some can change setting to receive malaysia FM,some cannot)
Non working Nav (if installed)
No reverse sensors (mostly)
How to differentiate: square plate holder, lots of Jap writing on the car.

I'll add to it when I can think of some more...

Well said haywire....btw welcome to the forum GreeneJR979

I was advised by a fellow friend to get a UK spec CBU. can u ask your friend what are the main reasons?

1) What are the differences between a UK spec and also a Japan Spec? some of them like bro haywire's had mentioned earlier.
2) How do i determine a UK spec? from the vin numbers. get the last 7 characters of the chassis numbers and key them in one of the many bmw vin websites to see the specs available for that particular car.
3) What are the wear and tear i should be prepared of when i get one? this is subjective. best if you know the history of the car from previous owner what have been changed and what have not. if you don't know the history of the car then i reckon to replace all kind of fluids.
4) How much would it $cost$ for the first time upon buying which i need to prepared? see no 3 and do some homeworks by reading other members related posts
5) On the maintenance part, How much would a regular maintenance cost on average? there's a specific thread created for this purpose. do search for it.
6) What are the commons problems which i need to lookout for in choosing a good one? answer like no 5 above.

A very Good Morning to All :)

Yes.....Well Said to Brother Haywire and Huskar3399 .

Cheers and have a Good Day to All

Alby325i :):)

greenejr979;810855 said:

What's you budget bro?

Top Bottom